CH.26 Empty promises

Chapter 26

"You look beautiful," Asher said as he held the car door open for Eden.

"Thank you," Eden smiled as she climbed out.

Asher pulled his coat tightly against his body to shield himself from the cold December air. Eden didn't mind the cold. She was always frozen. She followed him quietly though the parking lot and into the movie theater.

Asher made polite conversation while they waited on line and ordered snacks. He didn't know why he was nervous. It wasn't like this was their first date. But somehow it all seemed much easier back in high school.

Eden tried her best to be more herself. She laughed along at Asher jokes, asked him questions, and even tried to pay attention to the movie. But no matter how hard she tried, her mind was still on Alec. She couldn't get that haunting looking in his eyes out of her mind.

Half way through the movie, Eden made an excuse to go use the bathroom and wandered the halls. She took a seat under one of the large movie posters and stared down at the ugly red carpet.

Alec really wanted her to be happy, she thought. Her heart began to ache as tears rushed to her eyes. It became harder to breathe as she pulled her knees up to her chest and hugged herself.

She didn't know how long she sat outside for, but when she finally looked up, she realized Asher was sitting next to her.

"Oh," She jumped to wipe her eyes. "I'm sorry, I got lost on my way back. Let's go back in,"

"Eden," Asher gave her an understanding smile. "The movie finished an hour ago."

Eden blinked in surprise. She didn't know what to say as she sank back into the seat next to Asher.

"I'm a really bad liar," she said.

"You really are the worst," Asher laughed.

"I'm sorry,"

"For what?" Asher raised a brow. "For leaving me in there alone or for agreeing to come on this date when you have feelings for someone else?"

Eden shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she frowned, "....For both."

"You can be sorry for the first one. But not the second one." Asher reached out and wiped a single tear on her face. "I should be the one to apologize."

Eden shook her head.

"Yes," Asher laughed. "I knew you had feelings for Alec yet I still thought I could change your mind."

Eden dropped her gaze and tugged at the hair tie around her wrist.

"I don't want you to get hurt, Eden," Asher continued after a pause. "You know Alec is engaged....I don't see how anything could ever happen between the two of you."

"He's my mate," Eden confessed.

"Woah, what?" Asher pulled back.

"Yeah," Eden sighed. "It's really a big mess."

Asher searched Eden's face as she sat defeated in front of him. He was left speechless.

"Does he know that you're his mate?" Asher asked.

"Of course he does," Eden rolled her eyes.

"But he's having a baby with someone else?"

Eden nodded.

"I'm so confused right now,"

"Can we not talk about it?" Eden asked. "It took me a long time to somewhat come to terms with our strange relationship. I don't want to think about it now and get it all messed up again."