Epilogue

Epilogue

5 years later

"Mommy, I want to lick the spoon," Arden said as he sat on top of the counter top. He watched Eden mix the cookie dough as he eagerly wanted for a taste.

"Babyboo, you already had enough sugar for one day," Eden wiped the corners of the little boy's lips. He sat with the bowl of chocolate chips in his lap and ate them one hand full after another.

"Can I add in the cardamoms now?" He asked as Eden sat the bowl down in front of him.

"No, please!" Alec's voice called out from the living room. "For the love of god and all things holy, stop adding cardamom to the cookies."

Arden began to roll around in a fit of laughter as his father walked into the kitchen.

"Tell dad these cookies are not for him," Eden told Arden. "They are for Mackey since he's going away."

"They are for Mackey," Arden told his father.

"You have him trained like a soldier," Alec laughed as he grabbed the little boy and put him up on his shoulder. "You never listen to me like that, buddy."

"He loves me more," Eden winked.

"Is that true?" Alec looked up at his son. "You love her more?"

"Yes," Arden laughed.

"I admit, I am deeply hurt," Alec brought Arden down and sat him back on the counter. "But I still have hope for this guy."

As he spoke, he rubbed Eden's swollen belly.

"He's going to be on my team," Alec said as he kissed his wife.

"We'll see about that," Eden smiled.

"Why does Mackey have to go away?" Arden asked with curiosity as he picked up the red ladle and licked the cookie dough.

"He's turning thirteen in a few days, baby," Eden reminded him. "Remember grandma told you the story about how you will start to change into a wolf once you turn thirteen too."

The little boy nodded, "Does Mackey have a wolf?"

"Not yet, love," Alec rubbed his son's head. "He will after his birthday."

"Is that why he has to go away?"

"Yes," Alec smiled. "It's tradition for him to go to St. Rieka."

"Will I have to go away?"

"Yes," Alec said just as Eden said, "Never."

"I am not sending my baby anywhere," Eden opened her arms wide and Arden carefully crawled over to her. He placed a hand over her belly and moved around so he wouldn't hurt her.

"Thank you for being so gentle, buddy," Alec said proudly.

"Oh my Arden is the best," Eden kissed his cheeks. "You can have all the cookies you want."

"But what will we send Mackey?" Arden frowned.

"We baked so much," Eden reminded him. "We can give him like....two."

"Deal," the little boy laughed.

"Now go run upstairs and pick up all your toys," Eden fixed the boy's dark hair. "I'm making pancakes for dinner."

"YES!" Arden cheered. He shimmied down from his mother's arms and rushed up the stairs.

Alec waited until they heard his footsteps disappear down the hall before he wrapped his arms around Eden.