CH.18 Hands to myself

Chapter 18

The walk back to the palace seemed longer. Alec and Eden moved side by side as they both tried to think of something to say to each other. The somber air between them hung like a dark cloud. Every time, Alec heard Eden sniffled beside him, a little part of him died.

Once they entered the palace things got worse. The walls closed in around them making the tension between their hearts and bodies heat up like chemicals. Eden's steps quicken as if she couldn't get away from him fast enough.

At the bottom of the stairs, the pair ran into Gemma and the twins. Adeline was dressed for her ballet class while Maya stood around in her lacrosse uniform.

"Hey, you two," Gemma sighed as she spotted Eden and Alec.

"Everything okay?" Alec asked as he saw the frowns on Gemma and Maya's face.

"Maya lost her lacrosse stick," Adeline said as she fixed her bun.

"Is Tobias still here?" Eden held on to the banister to keep herself up right. She felt Alec's hand twitch as he tried to reach out for her. But she knew he held himself back.

"No," Gemma shook her head. "Are you okay? You look drained."

"I am," Eden sighed.

"I found it!" Exton's voice rang out as they all turned to find him running down the stairs with a lacrosse stick. "Dad to the rescue!"

"Thanks!" Maya's face brightened.

"Thank god, daddy," Adeline got up from the stair where she had been sitting. "Now let's hurry. I'm late for my class."

"Okay, okay, let's rock and roll," Exton grabbed the two duffle bags off the floor and kissed Gemma. "Bye, mama. See you in a few."

"Remember, Adeline ha-" Gemma started as Exton turned around to face her.

"Has class until seven today, Maya needs to go to the mall for a new pair of sneakers, and we're going to pick up some sushi for you on our way home."

"Yes," Gemma smiled.

"You go relax," Exton kissed her again. "I got this."

Alec felt Eden's eyes flicker to him as the small family in front of them played out what they could have had. His heart twisted as he wandered if he would ever have anything like that with Eden.

"Eden," Gemma turned to the girl as Exton and the girls ran out. "Go get some rest. We can have class tomorrow."

"Are you sure?" Eden asked.

"You seem distracted.....that's never a good thing when it comes to magic."

Alec watched as Eden took a deep breath and nodded her head. She was about to head up the stairs when they all heard the clicks of high heels.

"Gemma," Grace smiled as she approached the party. "Hey."

"Hi, my love," Gemma said as Grace air kissed her cheeks. "You look fantastic."

"Thank you," Grace pushed her hair over her shoulder. She looked down at the black velvet dress she wore and picked off a piece of lint. When she looked back up, her eyes fell on Eden standing at the base of the stairs.

"Hello, Eden," She smiled.

"Hello....Grace," Eden mustered up a polite greeting as her eyes threatened to tear up.

"Going out?" Alec asked as Grace walked over to him.

"Yes," She nodded. "I decided the only way to get Peter to leave me alone is to just get this dinner over with."