6- Royal Dinner

"So Niall," The king spoke up and Niall's heart skipped a beat because it was the first time that the king had spoke to him directly since the start of dinner. "How did you and Harry meet?"

Niall looked at the king nervously and quickly averted his gaze to his plate when he found the man looking at him.

"Um..." Niall looked at Harry. "I met him through Mr. Malik, he's one of my professors." Niall said and mentally hit his head on the wall for giving such a lame answer.

"Yaser?" King Desmond looked between Niall and Harry who were seated next to each other.

Now, Niall had no idea who Yaser was so he looked at Harry hoping the prince would answer that.

"No, Dad. It's Zayn." Harry replied after he'd swallowed his food.

"Zayn? He's a professor?" Gemma, Harry's sister, who was seated directly infront of Niall and next to her husband, asked.

"Yes. He's a junior professor at Oxford." Harry answered with a smile and Niall could see just how good of a friend Zayn was to the prince.

"That's wonderful! So you are at Oxford, Niall?" Gemma's husband asked with a smile and Niall nodded, spotting one himself.

"Thank you." Niall blushed and the queen cooed.

Niall was amazed by family. It felt like he was just having dinner with a regular family. What with the normal dinner conversation they were having. It put his mind at ease.

The only thing that Niall could do without was everyone's maids and bodyguards standing far off waiting for their masters and mistresses to finish eating.

"And where exactly are you from, Niall? Your accent screams Irish but I don't want to assume." The queen asked with a warm smile.

"You are right, I'm actually Irish. Born and bred until two years ago when I started at Oxford." Niall explained respectfully.

"How nice. Irish huh? How good are you at holding your liquor?" The king asked with a barely there smirk.

"Ah! I'm absolutely shit at holding my-" Niall's eyes widened when he realised that he had just cursed infront of their majesties. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to curse. Please have mercy on m-"

"It's okay, son. Take it easy." King Desmond's face lit up with an amused smile.

Niall looked at Harry and saw him sending a glare his way. Harry had told Niall to bite his tongue and not curse in the presence of his parents. But Niall had done just that, and he knew that Harry would have somethings to say, later.

"What about your parents, are they also in England or back in Ireland?" The queen asked and as much as Niall wanted to sigh in relief at the topic change, he stiffened.

"They uh, they are late. My elder brother and my parents died when I was eight." Niall said biting his lip to stop tears from spilling but he didn't wanna stop talking because he wanted to tell them once and for all, to avoid having to speak about it again.

So he continued. Surprised with himself for having the confidence to speak about it, because it was one touchy subject.

"I stayed with my nan till I was twelve and when she too passed, I was taken into a foster home but my foster parents weren't the nicest of people so I ran away and stayed on the streets until I saved up some money and moved into a little flat, with two of my mates, that was near my high school. And now here I am." Niall finished, he even smiled despite telling the royals one of the topics that always brought tears to his eyes.

Maybe it was because he hadn't gone into detail, either way, he was glad he had held in his waterworks.

The first thing he heard was Gemma's sniffles and when he looked up, he saw that she was indeed crying and her husband was rubbing her back trying to calm her down.