Thank You

Author's POV:

"Why did you have a gunshot wound? How did you even get one in the first place?" Kairi asked as he played with his hoodie strings.

Alejandro's head snapped up in surprise. He didn't want to reveal himself. Not just yet.

"I'm sorry but I don't think I'm ready to answer that question yet," Alejandro responded, averting Kairi's burning gaze.

"But that's no fairrrr," Kairi whined and threw himself back onto the couch.

"You bust into my apartment. I had to stitch you up. And you're staying with me. So it's only fair that you tell me," Kairi said.

Alejandro had an amused smile on his face as Kairi threw a small fit. Kairi's eyes widened and he realized how childish he was acting.

"My bad. I just wanted to know," Kairi said sheepishly, an embarrassed blush appearing on his cheeks.

"It's ok. So, Cosentino, you look Asian but I didn't wanna assume anything. I'm Costa Rican by the way," Alejandro replied in a very desperate attempt to change the subject.

"I'm Japanese and Italian," Kairi yawned and stretched on the couch. His mind was still fuzzy from the crazy turn of events and from lack of sleep.

"You should go to sleep Kairi," Alejandro deadpanned and Kairi slunk into his bedroom. He came back out with a pillow and a grey blanket. Kairi's foot slipped on the blanket as it dragged against the floor and he fell, bracing himself for the impact, but it never came.

Alejandro caught the boy and helped him up. Kairi mumbled a sleepy 'thank you' and retreated into his room. Kairi rummaged through his cabinets and dug out an extra toothbrush for Alejandro. They brushed their teeth and said their goodbyes. Kairi set an alarm for 10 am and fell asleep instantly, snuggling into his blanket.

Alejandro lay on the couch, his eyes glued to the plain ceiling. He pulled out his phone, cracked from today's incident, and sighed when he saw that it had 5% left.

He quickly texted Robert, his right-hand man in combat.

Alejandro:
I'm safe right now so don't send out the search. I'm staying at a college dorm. The target got away. It's up to you to find him. I'm counting on you Ale.

Robert:
We're tracking him down right now. See you at the bar, Friday night.

Alejandro:
Mrs. Wendy?

Robert:
Yep. Illegal smuggling of drugs and 1st-degree murder. It's an easy mission. I'll send you the details by Wednesday.

Alejandro turned off his phone and decided to call it a night. He snuggled in the pillow and inhaled the faint scent of vanilla on the fabric, the calming aroma lulling him into a dreamless slumber.

It was the first good sleep he had in a while.

« time skip brought to you by Mattia's dino headass »

Alejandro woke up to the sound of Kairi's alarm echoing through the thin walls and sat up quickly. He instantly regretted it as his abdomen burned and he stifled a string of curses.

Kairi turned off his alarm and decided to give himself 5 more minutes of much-needed sleep. Alejandro got up and walked around the apartment. He stopped in front of the fridge and glanced at Kairi's schedule attached to the metal.

He had classes at 11 am today.

Kairi's extra 5 minutes soon turned into 20 minutes as he slept, oblivious to the time. Alejandro pulled out his phone and saw that it was 10:37 am. He decided to wake Kairi up and shoved his phone back into his pocket.