Season 1: Chapter 17

Season 1

Chapter 17

The ball I will be attending is hosted by the royal family. It is said to commemorate the late queen’s day of her coronation. Ang dating reyna ng kaharian ng Ronschwald ay siya ding ina ng unang prinsipe, Rionsky. The late queen, Theara Ronschwald, is a kind and gentle woman. Kahit sa ibang mga kaharian ay kalat ang kanyang pangalan. Hanggang ngayon ay ikinu-kumpara siya sa pangalawang reyna. There are none who hated her, they say, as she is kind to everyone. That was why the king loved her, even up to now. The day she died was the day the kingdom lost half of its soul. It was drowning. There were suspicions of her death. Ang sagot ko ay gawa ito ng kasalukuyang reyna, kasama ang ibang mga matataas na taong may inggit sa kanyang kapangyarihan at katanyagan. Ang rason kung bakit naikasal ulit ang hari ay dahil sa balanse at kinakailangang koneksiyon at kapangyarihan. The current queen, Jaine, is a royalty from the Neo kingdom. Thus, the birth of the male lead, Heiden.

“Hi.” Bati ko kay Lorves nang makalapit ako sa kanya. He turned to me with a serious expression.

“Arisia.” Aniya sa baritonong boses. My eyes scanned him in a simple manner. Binuksan ko ang aking pamaymay at tinakpan ang kalahati ng mukha.

He is in a black suit, complimenting his face. The word ‘dark’ fits him well. Not bad.

I did not contain my smirk.

A given to be escorted by such a fine and dashing man for me.

“Are you, perhaps, nervous, Lorves?” Tanong ko nang mapansing may kakaiba sa kanya. It was not the usual untouchable and stoic man. Rather, he is a bit fidgety. I can tell how his eyes are glancing around and a bit pressed his lips are. Hindi iyon gaanong halata ngunit alam ko dahil magaling ako sa pag-obserba ng tao.

Marahan akong napangisi.

Even he is nervous. I am glad to see this part of him, a proof that he is actually human. Akala ko ay isang makina lamang siya noong una ngunit mali ako. It just shows how important to know people well, even a real bit would suffice.

Umiling siya sa akin. I handed my hand, initiating first. Kinuha naman niya iyon. He straightened and stiffened. Sumingkit ang aking mga mata nang muli akong napangisi.

He shows some cute side but the crown prince greatly exceeds him.

“Lady Arisia from house di Vonce and duke Lorves from house Kallon!” Countless stares greeted us as we enter the grand hall of the palace. Gumala ang aking paningin.

The hall itself exceeded my expectations. Makikintab at purong pula at berde bilang simbolo ng maharlikang pamilya ng Ronschwald.

Dumako ang aking mga mata sa nakahilarang trono sa itaas. There are no signs of the royalties, they should be arriving later. Iniwan muna ako ni Lorves kina Ruvia at Myrna, kasama ang ibang mga kababaihang hindi ko mamukhaan. He went to a group of eye-catching men.

Seeing how he went to them on his own volition, I assume they have a connection to the crown prince. Hindi naman si Lorves ang tipong lalapit sa mga tao. Ang tanging naiisip ko lang ay dahil ito sa prinsipe.

I fanned myself.

“It really is surprising to see the duke of house Kallon with you. Escort you, even.” Ruvia commented. Her black eyes wandered upon their group. Hinawi niya ang kanyang pulang buhok. Her dark dress complimented it.

She really is stunning.

Compared to Myrna who is wearing a white dress to match her jolly personality, Ruvia fits elegance more.

“Yes. We are friends.” Napahawak ako sa aking buhok.

“Magkaibigan? I heard he does not interact that well and he’s aloof. To be friends with that duke Kallon is really unexpected.” She threw back. Tumaas ang kilay ko dito. I covered half of my face with the fan.

She is implying something, huh? Plano niya bang gumawa ng mga sabi-sabi tungkol sa akin? Is that how she pays me back?

I slightly let out a sigh.

“I also thought that at first. When you get to know him, he is actually... gentle. Though some of the rumors are part true.” Marahan akong humagikgik. My eyes squinted.

“Mmm... do you fancy the duke, lady Arisia?” Myrna’s eyes twinkled as she interrupted. The lights from the chandelier shined her brown orbs.

“He is my friend, after all.” Maiksi kong sagot.

“No more than that?” Inosente niyang saad. Kuryoso siyang ngumiti sa akin.

“Mmm...” I gave her a nod.

“But I also heard an interesting gossip. It is said that you are betrothed to the duke.” Ruvia initiated the talk again. I bit the inside of my cheeks.

“I do not know about that.” I shrugged. Tumabingi ako.

Where did she get that information? I am sure she knew that I am meeting Lorves sometimes. Agaw-pansin, alam ko. Does she know or is she still in the middle of verifying it? “Why do you ask, Ruvia? Do you like him?” Panunuya ko.

People with connections from between the noble and aristocratic faction is unthinkable. Let alone a marriage. Siguradong maraming magtataka at magsu-suspetya kung sinong prinsipe talaga ang pinapanigan ng bawat pamilyang kumakabilang rito.

“No. You know that it is unprecedented to fancy another aside from its partner. I only like the second prince.” So she says. Hindi niya pa dinagdag na mula si Lorves sa kasalungat na paksiyon.

Tumaas ng kaunti ang kanyang kilay.

“You do not know about that. May mga hindi tama ka na mga sinabi. It is not necessary to love your partner in between an engagement or a marriage.” I was pushed to say some some things. I hid my disgust.

That was really cliche. Even I find it hard to believe that that just came out from my mouth.

“Suppose, you are right.” A hint of unconvincing tone, she forced a smile. I did the same. I can feel the tension in between us as the silence covered the atmosphere.

We are battling with our eyes, I see.

“Um... the duke Kallon is coming here, my ladies.” Pagbabasag ni Myrna sa aming katahimikan. I pursed my lips.

Seriously, this girl. She is a little dense. Well, that might be for the better.

Their attention was snatched by the incoming duke. Hindi ako lumingon.

“Evening.” Lorves, now beside me, said. I saw how some turned red because of him, dying for attention. Ganoon rin si Myrna.

“D-Duke Kallon...” She stuttered. Taranta siyang yumuko upang magbigay-galang.

Marupok. A sucker for men, indeed.

Malihim akong napairap.

She is the type to snatch a man she does not even like. Nade-delusiyon dahil nangangarap ng pag-ibig.

“I am Ruvia from house Estevan, Your Grace.” Ruvia, unlike the other, kept her composure.

This is what I like about her. She is not lured by good looks. Maybe it is because of her obsession to the second prince but she really only has eyes for one man. How loyal. I feel a little bad for her, though, because her wish will not come true. Snow is destined for Heiden, the same for him.

Tango lang ang isinumbat ni Lorves sa kanila. They did not react. Hindi rin sumagot.

Alam naman nilang hindi palasalita ang katabi ko. Yet, they are still a bit offended, I can feel that.

“I brought you a drink, Arisia.” He handed me a glass of wine. I received it and took a sip.

Mukhang tapos na siya sa pakikipag-usap sa kanyang mga kasama.

“Thank you for your thoughtfulness, Lorves. Hindi ka ba kailangan roon?” Umiling siya.

“It is all right.” Paninigurado niya. I can feel the hard stares thrown at us and I am guessing they are assuming something. Kinagat ko ang aking labi. Lorves parted his lips, about to say something when the loud voice of the announcer echoed throughout the hall.

“Presenting the royal family!” Bumukas ang napakalaking kulay pulang pintuan. It took a while to fully open it. We gave way for them. Lumakad sila sa pulang karpet. Their presence dominated us. Ako rin ay wala sa sariling napaluhod. My eyes glued at the floor. Parang tumagal lalo ang oras hanggang sa makaupo sila sa sariling mga trono.

“Stand up. It is nice to see that the hall is crowded. I, in behalf of the late queen’s, thank you for coming to celebrate another year of the day Theara ascended as the queen. Enjoy the ball!” Umalingawngaw ang kanyang makapangyarihang boses. The cheers resonated through the hall and the music started a lively one. Relaxed, I stood up and fixed myself. Nakahinga ako ng maluwag.

“Milady, Ruvia!” A loud and cheery voice caught our attention. A man with a big smile plastered on his face waved at Ruvia. I recognized him as he is one of the man in the group where Lorves went earlier. Nakalapit siya sa amin. Kapansin-pansin ang kahel nitong buhok at peklat sa kanyang pisngi.

He resembles Myrna. He is also like the sun.

I turned my gaze at Ruvia. I can feel her annoyance.

Sa tingin ko ay parang itinadhanang magkita ang dalawa. I guess she found her match. Ruvia does not really feel hatred or annoyance that much, except for Snow, that is why I am confused if this scenario is a part of the book as well.

“Sir Sonjac?” Her brows creased.

“I wanted to see you. Milady, you are like a goddess, how shining!” Masilga niyang ani.

“I appreciate the compliment.” Si Ruviang maiksi ang sagot. His eyes twinkled.

“Please accept this humble gift of mine.” Bigla siyang lumuhod at inihain ang pulseras na rubi, kaparehas ng buhok ni Ruvia. This cheerful man kneeling in front of her looked at her with so much adoration.

Mukhang totoo ngang napupusuan niya siya. He is beyond help, just like Hilda towards Davidron.

Napa-atras ng kaunti si Ruvia. We have gathered the attention of others. Nagbubulung-bulungan na rin dahil sa nakikita.

It is unprecedented. She is the fiancee of the seocnd prince. To show interest for her is clashing with the royal family. He is even from the aristocratic faction, I am sure. Pursuing a lady from the noble faction, hmm...

Palihim akong napatawa at ngumisi.

This is interesting.

The man did not wait for her answer and unexpectedly wore the bracelet in her wrist. Nabigla pa ako. Kalaunan ay napangisi ulit.

He is so daring! Nasa harap pa naman siya ng maharlikang pamilya! No one can pull it off unless he is brave or stupid! He is the latter, it looks like it.

“It suits you, lady Ruvia!” Hindi makapaniwalang napatingin si Ruvia dito. Her eyes were glued at her wrist where the gift from the man is worn.

She must be debating in her head of what she should do. Mukhang hindi niya alam ang kanyang gagawin.

“You must be... a friend of Milady.” He turned at us and bowed a bit. “Hello, I am Sonjac from house Leros.” Minataan ko siya.

I see, so he is from House Leros, a soon-to-be-Count, huh?

“It is nice to meet you. I am Myrna from house Alquiero.” She greeted. I did the same. Kaunti lamang akong bumaba at inilikod ang kaliwang paa.

“I am Arisia from house di Vonce, Sir.” Ngumiti ako.

“That lady? You are quite beautiful in person like what the rumors say.” Good grief, I would think he is flirting if not for his stupid nature. I am not a fool.

“Thank you.” Tango ko.

I should stay away from him. I do not want any rumors to circulate between us. It would be troublesome, for sure. If he is needed, why not? “Please excuse me.” I said in a gentle manner. Tumango ako kay Lorves para sumenyas na kailangan kong mapag-isa. Nakuha naman niya iyon at tumango pabalik. Napangiiti ako.

He understands me a bit. Good.

Gumala ang aking paningin at tumigil ito sa nasa huling berdeng kurtina. I put up my dress for a bit and went there.

Sa tingin ko ay may balkonya rin doon kagaya ng sa amin. I am sure there are those from the royalties that likes to be alone sometimes and a place for them must be there.

Tumalikod pa ako para tingnan ang mga nakatingin sa kain. I made sure to be cautious when I went behind the curtain. Someone bumped onto me. Tumaas ang aking tingin sa taong ito.

“I am sorry.” I mumbled. Agad akong lumayo. His eyes squinted. He leaned and stole a kiss from my hand. Kumunot ang aking noo dito at agad binawi ang kamay. I eyed at him.

“Huwag mo nang alalahanin sapagkat isang karangalan ang makabangga ng isang napakagandang dalaga.” A smooth talker with his nice voice. His looks and actions shows how a womanizer he is.

Ilan na ba ang nabiktima ng taong ito?

“Oh.” Tanging naisagot ko.

A noticeable red hair, reddish-brown eyes, flirty smile. I know him. He is a character I remembered from the book. I cannot possibly forget him regarding how he plays around women. I can deal his kind well, I think.

“I am Gideon from house Filleno. It is a pleasure to meet a beautiful lady, Arisia from house di Vonce.” Napangisi ako.

“You know me.”

“Sinong hindi makakakilala sa isang napakagandang dilag?” He smiled again, showing his charming he is.

“You flatter me.” Binuksan ko ang pamaypay at ginamit.

“Please call me Gideon. Maaari mo ba akong makasama sa ibang araw? I want to know you more.” I parted my lips.

He is fast. I might have gone out with him already if I was easy. Should I play with him?

Ngumisi ako ng palihim. I tucked my hair in my ear. Nahihiya akong ngumiti.

Of course, this is just an act.

“I am busy, unfortunately.” My eyes squinted. He smirked and leaned more to me. I did not budge of how close his face against me. Tumaas ang aking kilay.

He is really fast. Does he do this to every woman he meets?

“Oh, then how about---” Footsteps cut him off. Dumako ang aking mata sa lalakeng nasa likod ni Gideon. I bit my upper lip.

So, this is where he hangs out? Sa kanya ba ang lugar na ito?

Napalunok ako.

I did not have the time to look at him earlier.

Sinuyod ng hangin ang kanyang berdeng buhok at malaking kapa. The moon shone under him. He looks princely.

Has it been a month since I last saw him? Sa tingin ko ay mas lalo siyang naging marangal at hindi maabot na prinsipe. I feel like he is drifting farther with just his presence. How upsetting.

I tilted my head to look at him.

“You are with another woman again.” Uninterested, he sat on the chair just for him. His red eyes went to the bright and yellowish moon.

“Your Highness? What are you doing here?” Si Gideon nang makaharap siya sa prinsipe. He bowed and I did the same. Rionsky nodded and lifted his index finger to signal us to stand up straight.

“This is my place. Bakit mo naman tinatanong iyan?” He crossed his arms and put his leg on top of other. Muntik na akong matawa ngunit kinagat ko ang aking labi upang pigilan ito.

He still has his mean words from his mouth. That is good.

“That is not what I mean.” Gideon confronted him with an apologetic smile.

“Just leave. Nakakasagabal kayo sa aking paghinga. At sino naman ang iyong kasa---” His eyes widened a bit when he looked at me from Gideon’s back.

He did not saw me earlier?

I snorted.

His reaction is still cute, I could look at his bothered actions.

“Muli na naman tayong nakita, mahal na prinsipe. It is I, Arisia from house di Vonce. I hope you remember me.” May halong panunuya sa aking pagsasalita. Sumingkit ang aking mga mata. I saw how he gritted his teeth. He avoided my gaze.

“W-What are you doing here?” Napapikit siya at hindi ako hinarap. His head is in the opposite direction.

He is that shy? Cannot even look at me? Hah, this is why I am so interested in him. Wala siyang toleransiya sa mga babae.

“Obviously, for the ball, Your Highness.” He cannot even think of that. Iniisip niya bang nandito ako para sa kanya? That is part true, though. Just a bit. I know I am hoping that I can meet and tease him for my entertainment.

“How stupid. Hindi iyan ang ibig kong sabihin. Bakit ka nasa aking lugar? This place is off-limits. Ikaw din, Gideon. There is a couple room inside. Mas naaangkop iyon sa ginagawa niyo. How sickening.” He showed a disapproval look.

A couple room is for lovers or for flirting. They can do things there, even how lewd it is. I have no intention of going through that, though. Is the prince thinking of me as an easy woman?

“Your Highness, think of this as a payback from my banquet. Ang balkonya rin noon na pinuntahan mo ay para sa akin lamang. Surely, Your Highness would not mind if I am here, right?” Napatabingi ako.

“W-What...” His back straightened. Tinignan niya ako ng mga matang naa-asar.

“Um, you two know each other?” Gideon looked at me and the crown prince. Paulit siyang tumingin sa aming dalawa.

“Yes.” Sagot ko.

“I will not waste time for someone.” Sabay ni Rionsky.

He denies it?

Pasikreto akong bumuntong-hininga.

Well. I expected that. Siya ang tipong nagsasabi ng mga masasakit na salita, alam ko. But still, to say that we do not know each other. Does he even think of me?

I deeply breathe in.

He will like me, for sure. Gugustuhin din ako ng prinsipe na ito. He will surely reach for me.

“Your Highness really likes to lie.” I pursed my lips. Nanatili ang pang-aasar na ngiti ko sa kanya.

“I-I am not! Just leave. You are invading the crown prince’s privacy.” He scoffed.

“Okay, I should leave, Your Highness, lady.” Gideon left us with as a smile plastered on his face. Bahagya pa itong lumingon sa prinsipe at sa akin bago tuluyang nakaalis. His face darkened for a second when I took a glance on him. Rionsky rolled his eyes and throw me a look. He scoffed and tilted his head. My eyes squinted.

“I should leave, too, Your Highness. Though I would like to talk you more, I do not want to invade your privacy.” My brow rose. Marahan kong hinawi ang aking buhok at tinignan ulit ang pula niyang mga mata. “Then, goodbye.” I bowed my head a bit and turned my back. Nawala ang aking ngiti at sinimulang maglakad.

My face hurts, it is tiring to smile like an idiot.

“W-Wait!” He shouted. Napatigil ako. I bit my lip again to stop my smirk from appearing. I turned around. Nakatayo siya habang namumula ang mukha. “You can stay.” Nahihiyang aniya. Sumulyap pa siya sa akin. He met eyes and easily averted it again.

I expected that.

“Yes?” Pag-uulit ko. Nais ko pa sanang sabihin niya ito nang mas malakas.

“I said you can stay. It’s not like I am letting you stay here because I like you. It is just to be fair on the both sides.” He referred to the one I said earlier. I snorted.

He does not really like being owed, huh?

“I appreciate but I changed my mind, Your Highness.” Napataas ang aking kamay. Dumako ang aking daliri sa aking bibig.

“Huh?” He creased his forehead. Dumikit ang kanyang mga kilay.

“Sa tingin ko ay kailangan ko ng bumalik sa loob. Baka hinahanap ako.” My eyes squinted as I smile again.

“That was fast. And I just let you stay. I don’t understand how your mind works. You can just order your maid to inform them that for you.” I lifted my head.

Nais niya bang pumarito muna ako? Is it really his way of being fair from our first meeting?

I bit my upper lip.

“Nilalamig ako.” I hugged myself.

“You should have brought a coat.” Asik niya.

“Then I must go ba---”

“Here.” Sa isang iglap ay nasa kamay na niya ang kanyang berdeng kapa. He is handing it to me. Bumaba ang aking mga mata dito.

Gentlemanly. This is not good, I should contain my smirk. I do not want to show it to him.

Napapikit ako at bumuntong-hininga.

“Your Highness, this is---”

“It was hot. Hindi ko na kailangan kaya gamitin mo.” Kinuha ko iyon at isinuot sa sarili. The scent from the cape is from him.

Strong and sexy, an addicting scent. This is so like him from the book. It is just that his actions when I am with him is so different. Ganito rin ba siya sa tuwing hindi ko siya nakikita?

“Thank you, Your Highness.”

“Don’t thank me! I did not do it for you.” Umirap siya. Umawang ang aking mga labi.

“Even so, thank you for the coat.” Napapikit ako nang ngumiti.

“You can sit down. Naawa naman ako sayo kapag tatayo ka lang.” He pointed at the chair beside him. He rested his chin on his palm.

“Yes, Your Highness.” I nodded. Umupo ako sa katabing upuan. Napatingin ako sa kanya at nagtagal ang titig. Before I knew it, he gazed upon me. Kumunot ang kanyang noo. Mas lalo siyang namula.

“What? Bakit ka nakatitig sa akin? Do you like me?” He scoffed. I saw he gulp. He trembled a bit as he reddened more. A gush of wind passed by. Napatabingi ako.

I do not want to answer that. If I say I do not, what will his retort be?

“How about His Highness?” Pabato kong tanong. Napangisi ako. I leaned towards him.

“What?” He straightened again and gave me an un-agreeable look.

“Do you like me, Your Highness?” His lips parted and his eyes widened a bit. Namumuo ang tubig sa kanyang mga mata. Napalunok ako.

Damn, I want to see him cry in overwhelm and shame.