08

Kegan was surprised when Astra stayed in a bubbly, happy mood the whole time she was in Celix's room with him. She hummed as she went through his clothes, tossing articles out and asking Kegan which ones he preferred.

Kegan couldn't deny his love for Celix's scent, but he blamed it on the mate bond. It was woody and masculine, like the best smelling cologne in the world met a campfire in the best way possible.

"You can build it on the bed," Astra said, grabbing some sheets from deep inside the closet and handing them to Kegan. "I will never understand why the men in this pack need walk in closets. They wear the same shit every day!"

Kegan felt a smile grace his lips. He had the same wonderings; Leon almost never entered the back of the closet and wore dark pants and dress shirts that looked the same every day.

Astra watched as Kegan built his safe space by laying down sheets and making himself comfortable in the space by laying out the clothes and reorganizing. She didn't go close to him, as she knew that he'd be extremely territorial with other Omegas while building his nest.

When Kegan finished, he sat in the warm layout of clothes, pushing his nose into one of Calix's shirts. It was the most comfort he'd ever felt, and he wasn't going to regret not savoring the moment.

There was no telling when Calix would get tired of his protective nice-guy act.

"Are you alright?" Astra asked, pursing her lips.

She was confused by Kegan's behavior. Even before she and Kai were officially mated, she often sought out the Alpha in order to get praise for finishing her nest. It was common Omega behavior to seek praise from the Alphas, especially if they were mates.

Kegan nodded. "Uh, yeah? I think so?" he asked, wondering if he'd done something wrong. "Did I do something wrong?"

Astra shook her head. "No, it's just... you didn't go get Calix to look at your nest. Even before mating, it's kinda common for Omegas to do," she explained, making Kegan falter.

He didn't want to let an Alpha into his safe space, even if he was in that Alpha's room. The last time he had a safe space, Leon ruined the safe feeling by forcing himself inside of the comforting area.

"D-Do I have to?" Kegan asked, not wanting Astra to mind link the Alpha and ask him to come in the room.

Astra shook her head. "No, it's entirely up to you. I was just confused because I've never seen an Omega deny an Alpha's praise."

Kegan furrowed his eyebrows. "Would he actually... give praise? Or just get to the sexual part?" he asked.

"Well, I don't think Alpha Calix was planning on having sex with you during this heat. Didn't you hear him?"

"I thought it was a joke," Kegan admitted.

Kegan heard his wolf shuffling in his mind before it decided to speak. "Confide in her, Kegan. Her wolf says she's confused because the customs of this pack are different than the other ones," the wolf explained. "And ask the poor girl to sit down! She's pregnant!"

"You okay?" Astra asked, catching Kegan's attention. "You zoned out there for a second."

Kegan forced a smile, nodding. "I was talking to my wolf. He, uh, wants me to tell you to sit down since you're pregnant," he said, making Astra grin brightly and take a seat at the end of the bed.

"Aw, that's so sweet of him! What's your wolf's name? Mine is named Ziva and when we shift we're a toffee colored wolf," Astra said, before silencing herself and looking at Kegan intently.