42

A week had passed.

Tan and Luke had returned the night following their contact and telling Calix that their plan had been exposed, but they didn't seem to have been followed by any enemies, thankfully. Instead, Luke cut his contact completely from his old pack and was bonded to the Blood Moon pack after he and Tan officially mated a few days after they returned.

Kegan knew Calix was still skeptical about letting someone new into the pack, but he seemed to relax once Tan and Luke mated. He later told Kegan that fully bonding into another pack through mating was the only way to ensure that a wolf was secretly talking via mind link to their old pack, so it brought a lot of relief to Calix and the other overprotective Alphas in the pack.

Yet, Calix still was very much against Luke living in the pack house with them. He'd ended up storming off to their room when Kegan scolded him for saying that Luke should stay in the cell since he wasn't fully trusted yet.

When Kegan questioned him, Calix said it was purely instinctual, but Kegan knew he was still sensitive and overly aggressive due to Luke and Tan encouraging Kegan to run off and take part in their plan.

To add to Calix's overwhelming protectiveness, Kegan was nearing his heat, meaning whenever Calix wasn't doing work and making sure their pack was safe, he was all over his mate. Not that Kegan minded, since Jade loved the attention, but he didn't feel particularly safe when Calix scented him or cuddled him, since he could sense his mate's paranoia.

It was making him go insane, knowing that his mate didn't feel safe and when Jade wasn't basking in affection, he was pacing the walls of Kegan's mind, thinking he'd done something wrong.

That's how Kegan felt when he woke up early, a few days before his heat would start. He hadn't begun to form any safe space yet so he knew it wasn't going to suddenly hit him, but he could feel it nearing.

"How is he still tense and anxious in his sleep?" Jade asked, slightly panicked. "We didn't mess up in our sleep, right?"

"Calm down, we talking to Astra and Kai about this. He's just stressed and trying to protect our pack so it carries over," Kegan said soothingly.

He knew that Jade freaking out wasn't going to help him in any way, especially since he was extremely reliant on Jade during his heats.

Jade whimpered, not at all convinced. "But he's in his space with our scent! He should be more relaxed and less tense!"

"Alphas are different than Omegas, Jade," Kegan sighed, knowing that it was useless to try to reason with him but leaving his Omega counterpart to panic alone would just create a rift. "The entire pack is his space and he feels threatened. This space is our space and it's where you and I can relax because we're not in charge of an entire pack."

"But... I thought Omegas could calm down Alphas! Why isn't he calm?!"

"He's not having a panic attack! You're getting pretty close, however," Kegan said, pressing his face into Calix's chest and wishing Jade would shut up and calm down. "Please just relax before I get worked up."

Jade huffed before settling down, though the pit of anxiety remained in Kegan's gut. He groaned in irritation at the discomfort he felt, but tried to calm down since he noticed Calix stir a bit in his sleep, sensing the anxiety in the room.

"Are you awake?" Calix asked softly.

Kegan nodded against his chest. "Did I wake you?" he asked in concern, knowing how hard it was for Calix to get to sleep lately.

"No," Calix said, sitting up and stretching. "I have to go patrol this morning."

"You've patrolled every day," Kegan whined, knowing he sounded clingy but not at all caring. "Can't you just sleep in a bit longer and let me make you breakfast?"