10

When Kegan woke up, he was too warm, but in the best way possible. He felt comfortable and safe, despite the sweat that dripped down his face from the slight heat pains and the warmth that surrounded him.

When he shifted, Kegan froze, realizing he wasn't alone. He turned his heat slightly and saw the sleeping face of Calix, the Alpha's arms holding Kegan close to his chest.

It explained the sweat and why the heat had died down. Since Kegan had learned to tolerate the pain, he could deal with his heats, but the presence of his mate thankfully made the pain die down even further.

However, Kegan knew that the disappearance of the pain wouldn't last long and that he'd hit his peak within the next few days. At some point his body would demand that his mate do more than hold him and cuddle him.

He tried to get out of Calix's hold, but the Alpha didn't let go. Kegan growled and tried to pry Calix's hands off of him, ignoring Jade's heat induced pleas not to piss off the Alpha.

"I have to pee!" Kegan snarled, both to Jade and in attempt to wake up Calix.

"Don't. Piss. Off. My. Mate." Jade growled lowly attempting to overtake Kegan's body.

"I have to pee, dumbass!"

"Hold it."

Kegan scowled. "I liked you better when you were silent."

As soon as he said the words, he regretted them. Kegan felt Jade's rejection and sadness before he went silent in his mind. It wasn't Jade's fault for his desperation to please their mate; it was instinct.

"Jade? I'm sorry!" Kegan thought sadly, trying to get Jade to respond, but the wolf remained silent.

The scent of anxiety and fear cut through the air. Kegan had already experienced difficulties trying to get a response from his wolf the first time, and their relationship was battered because of it. He didn't want to make it worse.

"Kegan?" Calix asked groggily, finally waking up. "What's wrong?"

Kegan climbed out of bed as soon as Calix's grip loosened and he bolted for the bathroom. He slammed the door behind him and after he finished doing his business he knelt by the tub and began to sob, burying his face in his hands.

"Kegan! Open the door," Calix pleaded, knocking on the bathroom door. "Please, tell me what's wrong!"

The fact that Jade didn't push Kegan to respond and obey their Alpha only made him cry harder.

"Fuck," Calix whispered to himself. He didn't want to use his Alpha voice and scare Kegan, but the Omega's actions were terrifying to him. "Kegan, I don't want to have to force you to open the door. Please come out."

"Go away! I'm fine!" Kegan yelled, climbing into the tub and laying down to cry.

Calix growled and began to pace outside of the door. Then, an idea popped into his head and he ran out of the bedroom.

Kegan heard Calix run off, but he didn't know where he'd gone. He didn't really care, as long as the Alpha wasn't forcing his way into the bathroom and allowing Kegan to be away from him. Between the heat pains and the anxiety of Jade not responding, Kegan didn't want his mate to see him.

He didn't trust Calix and he didn't want the Alpha to hurt him or scold him for hiding away in the bathroom.

After about fifteen minutes of tears, Kegan managed to contain himself to hiccups and slowed tears. He sat up from the tub when someone knocked at the door, but he didn't recognize the scent.