18

"I'm craving steak," Calix said, pulling Kegan's attention from the novel he was reading.

Kai had returned an hour after Astra fell asleep and Kegan left the room so the two could relax together. Once he did that, he ran into Tali who showed him where the library was after asking if he was bored and if he liked to read.

In the Red Claw pack, novels weren't available to a him, but Kegan had been taught by the other Omegas how to read using picture books. In the short time he spent in the North River pack, since he was stuck in Leon's room the whole time, Kegan had developed his skills and learned that he loved the books he found.

They were all romance novels, nothing that he thought Leon would read, but it wasn't his place to judge or ask.

"Do you want me to make you some?" Kegan asked, placing his book on the couch's side table and standing up. "I know I haven't cooked for you before, but my marks were high in the Red Claw pack and-"

Calix shushed him, not wanting him to spiral off into an anxious tangent. "I'm not asking you to make me dinner, Kegan," he said, handing the book back to Kegan so he could continue reading. "I wanted to know if you like steak so I can make it. Trust me, my mother would never forgive me if I didn't treat my Omega and feed him."

Kegan took the book back hesitantly and tried to survey Calix's face. He knew that Calix probably wouldn't hurt him from what he'd learned so far, but that didn't excuse the duties he needed to complete as an Omega. All he'd been taught was that it's his responsibility to appease his Alpha, despite the kindness he'd been shown.

He was surprised he hadn't been punished or scolded by Calix for yelling at Kai earlier. Even if Kai was forgiving, Calix should've been upset with Kegan for insulting his Beta.

"Are you sure?" Kegan asked, knowing he shouldn't second guess it attempt to correct his Alpha.

Calix sighed and walked over to Kegan, lifting the tense Omega into his lap. "How long is it going to take you to understand that no Alpha here is going to harm you?" he asked, hugging Kegan despite how nervous the Omega was.

Kegan didn't respond, not wanting to disappoint Calix.

"Kegan?"

"...I don't have an answer, Alpha," Kegan muttered, breathing a sigh of relief when Calix let go of him. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright," Calix answered, though it was obvious he was hurt that Kegan couldn't trust him. "I'm going to go get things prepped for dinner."

"Do you want me to help?"

"If you'd like, but it's up to you. Don't feel obligated," Calix said, walking to the kitchen. "You can join me and sit on the counter and read your book."

Kegan followed him and hopped up on the kitchen's island, opening his novel to the page he left off. He couldn't pay much attention to his reading, though, since Calix was extremely chaotic in the kitchen. He didn't seem to know what he was doing, rummaging through cabinets and pulling out random things before scoffing and putting them away.

"Calix?" Kegan asked, drawing the attention of his mate.

Calix turned away from his confused shuffling and faced Kegan. "Yes, love?"

"I mean no offense... have you ever cooked before?" he asked, looking at the mess that Calix was leaving all over the counter.

"You can't tell I'm a top chef?"

Kegan's heart dropped. "I'm... I didn't know, I'm sorry, it just seemed disorganized and-"

Calix started laughed softly, shocking Kegan. "It was a joke, Kegan. I didn't mean to scare you, it was a joke," he promised. "Lys usually does the cooking, but she's working today so Kai often takes over, but she's not going to be able to right now."