22

Calix nearly attacked when he saw a wolf emerge from the woods in front of him. He'd howled in warning when he began to search, also hoping for a response, hoping that Kegan recognized his call and would howl back.

He'd heard a response minutes before a wolf emerged from the woods, and it sounded frantic, which terrified him. He ordered all of his warriors to follow that howl through the mind link.

As soon as the wolf emerged, Calix's hair raised on his neck and back, his lips pulled back into a snarl. Then, the wolf dropped to the ground and rolled to its back.

Calix then caught the scent of his mate and recognized the white blond mass of fur rolled over on the ground. There was a series of bite marks on his front leg, as well as missing tufts of fur and claw marks all over his back where Calix could see.

As soon as Calix recognized Kegan, he released a reassuring bark at the smaller wolf, telling Kegan that he was recognized and accepted.

As Kegan rolled over and limped toward Calix, another wolf emerged from the woods. It was about the same size as Calix and had a dark brown pelt.

Calix snarled at the wolf, making sure Kegan was safely behind him before he howled for his pack to help him restrain the wolf. He knew he could fight off the wolf, but he didn't want it to escape. He wanted to know why the hell it would take his mate, since he could smell the other wolf all over him.

Other wolves from the Blood Moon pack emerged from the surrounding forest, encasing their enemy in the middle their circle.

The enemy wolf looked around, suddenly realizing he was surrounded. He snarled and turned to run, but Kai and Tan tackled the wolf to the ground, biting and clawing at their Luna's attacker.

He was easily outmatched and quickly went limp, covered in blood and cuts.

Calix ordered his warriors to take their prisoner to their cells so he could tend to Kegan.

The others all instantly obeyed, dragging their bloodied enemy toward the town. They all stood defensively around the wolf, as if he'd wake up and run after their Luna once again, but he stayed knocked out and limp.

Calix walked toward his mate, who was laying on the ground, exhausted and in pain. He nudged Kegan's injured leg, thankful that the cuts seemed to be healing, though it was slower because he hadn't rested when it first got injured.

Even though he wanted his mate to relax and heal, Calix knew that it would be smarter to deal with the injuries at the pack house. It would also carry a familiar scent to relax Kegan and Jade.

Calix nudged his mate, urging him to get up.

Instantly, Kegan obeyed, limping after his mate and reaching the pack house. It wasn't a long walk, but it hurt, so thankfully Calix took the walk slowly, staying right by Kegan's side and stopping when the Omega started to pant and slow down.

Once they got back and were in the safety of their bedroom, Calix shifted back and ran to the bathroom to grab the first aid kit. He knew that Kegan would have a difficult time shifting while still bleeding and not mostly healed, meaning he'd have to stay in his wolf form for an hour or so.

Kegan understood this and hopped up on the bed, laying down and extending his paw so Calix could clean it up.

When Calix returned, he worked in silence to clean the cut, frowning sadly when Kegan whined at the feeling of rubbing alcohol stinging his cuts. He gently pet down Kegan's back to soothe him, hating that he was causing his mate pain.

When the worst cuts were covered, Calix shifted back into his wolf and settled behind his mate, similar to how they cuddled in the field.

"I wish we were mated," Kegan grumbled, making Jade question him. "Then he and I could talk through the mind link."