27

As soon as the sun reached high into the sky, Calix lead Kegan to where they left their clothes and the pair got dressed in the woods. He'd received word that Astra had given birth, and now that the pack had their future Luna and Alpha around, Astra was desperate for them to give her pups their blessing.

"How many did she have?!" Kegan asked excitedly. "Are they named yet? Do they look more like Kai or Astra? How soon-"

"Calm down, Kegan," Calix said through a small laugh, loving the excited and confident side to his beautiful mate. "I don't want to bombard them with questions."

Kegan huffed to himself. "Fine," he grumbled, glaring at the ground.

Calix laughed at his antics, proud of how much stronger and braver Kegan had become.

He wasn't scared of Calix anymore; in fact, Kegan seemed to take any opportunity to tease the Alpha and mess with him. Other Alphas still made him nervous, but he was able to defend himself and was becoming the Luna he was meant to be.

"Astra's excited that you're coming to bless her pups," Calix said plainly, making Kegan grumble and grab his hand.

"I know that! So let's hurry!" Kegan said irritably. "You're giving your blessing too, right? How do I even do it? Like, 'congrats on your vagina gremlins, happy they're here?'"

Calix choked on his spit, tears forming at the corners of his eyes as he began to laugh. "No! You just say something about the moon goddess protecting them!" he cackled. "And I'll be there but it's really only the Luna's blessing that they want. You're the one that they see as a gift from the moon goddess herself, since Lunas are the peacekeepers of most packs."

"Explains why my last packs weren't peaceful," Kegan mumbled. "Uh, have you heard anything new from Luke?"

"The prisoner?" Calix asked with a raised eyebrow. "No, why?"

Kegan shrugged. "I don't know... he's just been here for over a month and we know nothing except that Alpha Leon sent him to find me... I just can't help but wonder if someone's going to run in and get him out."

Calix stopped in his tracks. "Why would you think that?" he asked, knowing Kegan wasn't one to ask stupid questions and almost always had a reason or motive behind them. "Did you hear something?"

"Uh... can we talk about this after we see Astra?"

Calix growled. "So you did hear something?" he asked, angry that he hadn't been informed.

Kegan glared at him. "Don't growl at me," he snapped, standing in front of Calix on his toes to look taller. "And I didn't hear anything. I saw something."

"Saw?!"

"I have eyes, Calix."

Calix snarled and towered over Kegan, but the latter stayed in his spot, not wavering or trembling. The Alpha hadn't used his tone or attempted to intimidate Kegan, so he didn't feel extremely worried yet.

"What did you see and why wasn't I there?" Calix asked, trying to keep his wolf from coming to the surface and yelling at their mate for being away from them and seeing something related to an enemy.

"There was a wolf I saw this morning when I came to look for you!" Kegan said, trying to calm Calix down so he wouldn't have an angry Alpha on his hands when they got back to the pack house. "It was nearing the town but you howled and it ran off. I think it saw Kai head back into town and decided it would be able to get in."

Calix didn't calm down, his anger skyrocketing. "You thought a breach in our pack could wait?!" he asked, grabbing Kegan's shoulders and snarling in the Omega's face. "You could've been in danger! Did it look rogue?!"