47

When Kegan opened his eyes, he instantly remembered what had happened the night before. His eyes shot open and he growled, instantly shifting, ready to protect himself from whoever had taken him.

He was snarling when he realized that he wasn't in an unfamiliar place. In fact, he was in bed, sitting beside a wide awake Calix, who had obviously been disturbed by his mate's snarls.

"Kegan?" Calix asked hesitantly, not at all expecting his mate to wake up shifting and growling at him. "Baby? Shift back for me and talk to me."

Kegan was breathing heavily, nearly hyperventilating. His eyes were darting around the room, expecting someone to be hiding in a corner. He felt a hand touch his fur, making him snarl and snap at Calix before sprinting to a corner of the room.

Calix had no clue what was going on, but he needed to find out. With Kegan not listening and attacking him, Calix knew he'd have to use his status as an Alpha to calm him down if worse came to worse.

"Kegan, I don't want to shift and force you to calm down," Calix said firmly, but Kegan just bared his teeth, his fur standing on end. "Please take a deep breath and shift back, love. Tell me what's wrong."

Growling lowly, Kegan prepared to snap again if Calix came any closer to him. He didn't feel safe; he was attacked right outside his own home and he felt incredibly vulnerable.

How did he even get back inside?

Did Calix know who attacked him?

"Kegan, one last chance," Calix growled, his voice getting deeper as he began to allow his control to slip so Zakai could take over. "I don't know why you're upset and mad, and I can't help you if I don't understand. Shift back or I will force you to calm down."

The Omega slipped back further into his corner, still baring his teeth and snarling even louder, clearly ordering the Alpha to stay away from him.

Calix growled back, throwing off his shirt and pants so he could shift, towering over his mate. He growled lowly, warning Kegan to roll over and submit. Even though he hated using his status over Kegan, especially with his past, Calix didn't know what was going on and he wasn't going to let Kegan work himself without knowing why.

"Calm down, now," Calix mind linked him, but Kegan refused to listen to his words, so Calix confided in Zakai. "Is Jade saying anything?"

"No, Jade's shut down," Zakai whimpered, worried for his own mate. "Make him calm down so we can find out what the hell is going on."

Calix assured Zakai he'd do what he could, before stepping close to Kegan. He barely dodged the Omega's claws, skillfully tackling him and pulling Kegan out of his corner by the scruff of his neck.

Kegan yelped, still growing and able to scratch Calix's leg, making the Alpha growl lowly. He dropped Kegan, looking at his leg and was pleased to see it wasn't deep and was already healing.

Calix pushed Kegan to the ground, stepping on his front paws so he couldn't claw at him again, before snarling and trying to get Kegan to whine or show submission.

Kegan wasn't having it, squirming in Calix's grasp and trying to bite his leg. He didn't succeed, so Calix eventually sat down and waited for Kegan to exhaust himself.

"Get off," Kegan grumbled after fifteen minutes of squirming under Calix's paws.

Calix growled at him, not at all pleased with Kegan's behavior. He didn't understand why his mate was so defiant and upset today, but refusing to sit down and talk about it was not helpful.

"What the hell is wrong with you today?" Calix snarled, slowly getting off of Kegan but still glaring at him.

Kegan bared his teeth once again. "How did I get into bed last night?"