49

Calix had shifted and ran until he was at the pack barrier. He sat down in the dirt, the earthy scent filling his nose as he laid in the forest's filth. No part of him felt okay; he felt sick and disgusted with himself.

There was no reason for the thought of hurting Kegan to cross his mind. The fact that the thought even crossed his mind made him want to go to his father and ask for some kind of punishment.

He was wallowing in his anger when a scent floated through the air, meeting his nose. It didn't smell like a pack mate, which angered him to no end. No one that wasn't part of his pack had no purpose being anywhere near his home.

Calix didn't bother mind linking for any backup. It was already late and he didn't plan on attacking anyone, though, if he did, he guaranteed he was angry enough to defeat ten other wolves. He ventured off alone, sniffing the air and locating which direction the scent was coming from.

On careful paws, Calix moved through the shadows, eyes focused on the forest around him. He felt the soft dirt under his paws, keeping his movements completely silent, an art he'd mastered when he was young and had helped him all through his life.

The scent got stronger, but it was strange. It was somewhat familiar, but it was light and had a strange... hospital smell.

Growling, Calix neared closer to the scent. He saw a small clearing illuminated by the moonlight. He crouched underneath a bush, irritated by the leaves guarding his vision.

There were two figures inside it from where Calix could see, but he didn't have a great view from his hidden spot. Instead of scowling at his obscured view, Calix opened his ears so he could hear what they were saying.

"You made sure it was all injected?" a woman's voice asked. "Positive?"

"Yes," came a vaguely familiar voice. "He didn't expect it and the mark faded in seconds, like you said."

The woman sighed. "I didn't want to do this," she said sorrowfully. "You both understand that?"

The other people that the woman was talking to didn't respond, so Calix assumed they nodded. He couldn't see their faces, and he didn't know who the hell they were, but he needed to find out.

"You promise it won't hurt the pups?" the familiar voice asked, sounding angry. "I won't hesitate to rip your throat out with my teeth if those pups get hurt."

"I swear. It'll just ensure that Leon can't do as he pleases after."

That caught Calix's attention, making him scoot closer. Lately, he'd only ever heard Leon's name when someone was talking about Kegan whether it be directly or indirectly.

When he moved forward in the bush, the leaves rustled loudly. Calix growled when the people fell completely silent before whispering to each other and vanishing into the woods.

Irritated, Calix shifted back to his human form and ran to the clearing, seeing if he could pick up something familiar. He didn't find anything or recognize any scents besides the strange one he'd followed earlier.

Sighing in defeat, Calix turned to go home when he heard a snarl from the woods behind him that faced away from the pack. He shifted back into his wolf form, ready to defend himself, when he saw two sets of red eyes in the darkness.

Two rogue wolves appeared, making Calix's heart drop.

Rogues were never wolves that anyone should tangle with, whether or not a wolf was a strong Alpha. They were ruthless and deadly, their only goal to kill.

Calix knew he was in danger. He slowly backed up, growling at the pair. The only chance he had was getting back to his pack; no matter how ruthless rogues were, they didn't like going into pack grounds. It was strange that two were traveling together, as they usually killed each other, but he wasn't in a place to judge when his life was at stake.