Chapter Eleven

Chapter Song: Apologize by One Republic

~Track 7 on 'Songs 4 Alex When I'm Not Talking To Him' (made by Webster)

Webster

By the time she had wheeled back to the record store, it was all over.

Brianna was standing outside, tears streaming down her face, clutching a piece of paper saying that the record store was officially unsafe to work in and was therefore to be shut down.

They cried togther.

************************************

Alex

He was on his way to the record store, whistling 'All The Small Things' and clutching a new playlist for Webster in his hand. He felt bad about the way he had treated her the other day at his apartment door. He had just been a little preoccupied at the time, and the fact that she had showed up had sort of thrown him off.

He was still confused about what had happened between them the other night. But after spending the day with Lorraine, he knew he was ready to tell Webster that the other night had been a mistake, and then she'd be totally cool with it as she always was with these things.

He smiled as he reached the entrance of the store, but then his smile disappeared a she looked at the store properly.

It was boarded up, a notice was pinned on the front of it.

This store has been shut down due to health issues

He stared at the sign, his mind not wanting to belive what the writing was telling him.

"You're a little late."

He whipped around and saw Brianna, a cigar hanging from her mouth. She was leaning against the far side of the boarded up store.

"What happened?" he demanded.

The pink-haired girl narrowed her eyes at him.

"What happened?" He repeated, holding her stare.

She laughed bitterly.

"What happened? What happened was you weren't here when we needed you most." she scoffed. She puffed on her cigar as Alex stared blankly at her.

"I don't understand." he said, sounding incredibly stupid.

That's when Brianna lost it. She marched over to him and stood in front of him, both of them now face to face, her eyes blazing.

"You are a little fucker Alex Gaskarth, you know that? How dare you...how dare you! You just had to pick yesterday to be the douche bag Alex that everyone knows, that everyone is used to! Did you even consider what you were saying to Webster when she came knocking on your door yesterday?" she yelled, anger trembling in every syllable of her words.

"That fucking inspector came into the shop yesterday, and you didn't bother your ass to help out! And in the process you smashed Webster into a million pieces! Jesus Alex this is all your fault!"

He stared down at his shoes. Yes, he had said some nasty words to the girl in a wheelchair yesterday, and he regretted all of it.

And now the store was shut down because he had been preoccupied.

"You see? You didn't! All you could think about was fucking your girlfriend who was in your bedroom with her clothes off. But is that anything new? I mean...I was once like Lorraine." she said through gritted teeth.

She took a deep breath.

"You can mess with me, Alex Gaskarth, you can mess with Lorraine, but you are not allowed to mess with Webster Walker, because she deserves so much more than you could ever give her." she said, her voice cool and collected.

She threw the stub of her cigar on the ground and stamped it out, the ashes spreading all over her shoes. She started to walk away, leaving him alone, but before she could disappear around the corner, she stopped and turned around.

"And this time, I don't suggest you call up to her house and beg her for an apology. You should just keep you and your tiny dick away from Webster for good." she growled. Then she turned on her heels and disappeared.

He let himself fall against the abandoned and broken record store. He punched it angrily with his fist.

"Fuck it anyway!" he yelled, pain filling his chest, his world starting to fall apart like a house in a hurricane. He pressed his head against the window, hot angry tears swelling up in his eyes.

Don't cry.

Don't cry.

Don't cry.

But it was too late.

For the first time in nearly sixteen years, he was crying.

And it was all because of a girl in a wheelchair.

Webster

"Webster, love, Alex is here."

She straightened her back up against her wheelchair, earphones falling out of her ears as she stared at her mam in disbelief.

"He says he wants to talk to you." her mam sighed.

She shook her head.

No.

She didn't want to ever see that wretched man ever again, even if he did have a nice face, and hair, and a great music taste, and bad jokes that made her laugh.

But his words were still haunting her, and seeing his face just wasn't enough to beat out the angry words he had said to her.

"He said he has a new playlist for you." her mam said slowly.

She shook her head again. She didn't want his playlists anymore. All they did was make her think of him, and then she'd start crying because she missed him and then she wouldn't stop crying because she still didn't understand why he had been such an asshole to her, and then she would cry all night becuase she would end up listening to his playlists all over again.

"Do you want me to give him your playlists?" asked her mam quitely, her eyes sad.

Webster's eyes drifted over to the small stack of playlists that were piled on her desk, just waiting to be listened to, but she just couldn't bring herself to let her mam give them to him. The songs were too deep, too much, and they were all for a man who just didn't understand.

"It wouldn't hurt you know sweetie. It uhmm...it looks like he's been crying."

That shocked Webster. Alex? Crying? The whole image of him curling up in a ball and crying his sweet hazel eyes out was enough to make her want to cry too.

"You better hurry up with your answer Webs. Spike's due to come over any minute to take you out to the park, and I don't think he'll be too impressed if he sees Alex at the door." he mam said quickly, interrupting her trail of thoughts.

Slowly, Webster wheeled over to her desk and grabbed the pile of playlists.

Her mam took them silently, but before she disappeared out he door, she said "I think he was crying over you Webster." she said softly.

"I think he's hoping that you'll give him one more chance."

Webster couldn't quite meet her gaze. She started to fidget with her jumper sleeve.

"I'll tell him that you don't want to see him right now. That he should give you space." she sighed, and then she left.

That's when Webster started to cry again. She plugged in her earphones just as I Miss You by Blink-182 came on.

Track number seven on 'Sad Songs For A Bad Day' that he gave her only a week ago.