Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Song: I Miss You by Blink-182

~Track 23 on 'Songs I Listen To When I Miss You' (made by Alex)

Webster

When she had arrived at Dublin airport, her whole family had been there to greet her. Her gran, her Daideo (grandad), Uncle Heaney, Aunty B, even the cousins from county Galway had shown up.

But not Alex.

And even though she felt a great rejoice at being reunited with her relatives after nearly fifteen years, she had never felt so alone and empty in her entire life.

Alex

After a day and a half of searching for his passport without any luck, Alex had given up. The landlord of his apartment had called him up to tell him that his rent was overdue and if he didn't pay it within the next twenty four hours, he was going to be kicked out.

And the sad thing was, he had no one to help him out.

He wasn't talking to Jack anymore, Lorraine was definitely out of the picture too, and Brianna? Brianna would just tell him to fuck off. There was the options of calling his parents, but he would never live it down.

There were a couple of girls that he could call who would gladly let him crash in their place, but that would result in him having sex with them, and Alex didn't want that anymore. He knew that if he did fuck someone, he would only feel guilty because of Webster.

So instead, Alex found himself grabbing the keys to his car and in minutes he was on the road, driving towards a house that he knew was empty.

But he just wanted to see it.

One last time.

Webster

"How was Baltimore, Webster? I heard they have really cool shops there!"

"Did you meet any friends?"

"Did you meet any boyfriends?"

"When did you get your computer?"

"Are you really going to be able to walk again?"

Webster felt like her head was going to explode with all the questions her family was overloading her brain with. Her fingers were actually sore from typing quick replies to them.

It was a relief when her Gran had sent them all out into the kitchen because she had made 'crisp sambos' for everyone.

Webster had always loved her Gran. She admired her a lot. Maybe it was because she had kept her strength after her son (Webster's dad) and her oldest granddaughter, Charlotte (Webster's sister) had died in that car crash so many years ago, or maybe it was because Gran always knew when something was wrong.

Just like she did right now.

It was just her and Webster in the living room now, and when her Gran sat down in her favourite red armchair, Webster knew that she was about to get grilled.

"Webster, how was Baltimore, hm? And I want the truth." she said as she gave Webster a knowing look.

Gran had the same eyes as her and her dad. A family thing that kind of got passed down from generation to generation.

"IT WAS FINE." she typed back, choosing her words carefully.

It was the truth. Baltimore hadn't been amazing, but it hadn't been awful either.

Her Gran nodded in approval.

"Hmmm...I thought so. There's something in your eyes that tell me you met someone."