Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Song: Lego House by Ed Sheeran

~Track 19 on 'Songs 4 Alex' (made by Webster)

Alex

He had heard her.

He had smelled her.

He had even felt her crying into his chest.

His stupid body just wouldn't wake up.

Webster

She stayed over night in the hospital's waiting room. Everyone else had decided to head home, even Lorraine.

But Webster was not going home until Alex woke up.

Her mam understood, she had even stayed with her in the waiting room, flicking through her glossy magazines until she fell asleep.

The next day Brianna brought Webster her laptop and a handful of blank CD disks. She had nearly cried with happiness.

"You're so weird, you know that, right? I love you for it." Brianna had laughed when she saw Webster's reaction.

Alex's nurse (who's name was Gretchen) brought her and her mam tea every hour or so. Her mam had called Gretchen a "sweetheart."

It was five o'clock when Gretchen came sprinting down the hall for her. She looked excited, her eyes were wide and her usual neat bun on her head was falling out.

"Alex...he's...awake." she panted as she beamed at Webster.

It took her approximately one minute and thirty seconds to wheel down that long ass corridor.

Alex

"Have you ever had any alcohol problems Mister Gaskarth?"

He rolled his eyes.

"No. I'm telling you doctor, for probably the twentieth time, I have never had alcohol problems."

"So can you explain why you had to get your stomach pumped?"

"It's none of your business!"

"I just need to know what exactly happened Mister Gaskarth, because I don't want to ever see you here again."

"Doctor, I...." he trailed off as Gretchen burst into the room.

"Doctor Amy...uhmmm...there's an emergency in the waiting room! Some skunk haired man is running around with his pants down!" Gretchen gasped.

Doctor Amy frowned and placed her clipboard down on the bedside table.

"I'll be back." she huffed, her heels clicking off the cool white tiles of the hospital floor.

"And when I do come back, you better have a good reason as to why you ended up here."

She walked out of the room and when she was gone, Gretchen breathed a sigh of relief.

"Okay. She's gone. Webster you can come in now." Gretchen laughed, wiping her forehead with her hand.

Webster.

Alex sat up in his bed as a girl with wavy strawberry blonde hair, green eyes and cat-eyed glasses wheeled into the room.

She gave him a crooked smile.

"HI ALEX." she typed shyly, hiding her face a little behind her laptop screen.

God, he had missed that computer voice. Although her actual voice was much nicer, stutter and all.

He wished she would talk more in front of him.

"Webster." he said, sending her a crooked smile.

They didn't say anything more after that.

They didn't really have to.

All they needed was to look at each other.

All he needed was to look at her.

Webster

Alex had really big eyebrows.

They looked like caterpillars.

Alex

Webster eye's changed sometimes. Today they were more gold than green.

Webster

Alex was released from hospital a couple hours after she had visited him. His skin had returned to it's original colour, and he looked a thousand times better than last night. He was stretched out on her bed, his head buried into The Philospher's Stone, his eyes reading the words extremely fast.

She, on the other hand, working extremely hard on a new playlist for him. The room was silent, the only sound being the soft flick of a page, or the click of her keyboard. Both of them were lost in their own worlds.

They hadn't really spoken since Alex had been released. Maybe he wasn't sure what to say to her anymore.

Maybe they were falling apart, brick by brick, piece by piece, like all people do. The only thing left to hang on to being the playlists.

Webster had never wanted this to happen.

But she had always been so easy to forget.

Alex

He sighed as he flicked on to chapter thirteen of The Philosopher's Stone. He couldn't concentrate, not with Webster on the other side of the room. All he could think about was how the last time he sat on her bed, she had let him touch her.

Jesus.

He sounded like a pedophile.

But Webster was nice to touch. Her skin was always soft like silk, and her fingers always felt right when they were pressed lightly against his chest.

She was sitting with her back facing him, her headphones around her neck, a stack of CDs beside her. She was wearing her purple jumper, the one with the cat on the front. He wondered if she had ever dated someone before. He wondered if she had ever kissed someone that wasn't him before.

He found himself praying that he was the only one who had ever kissed the girl in the wheelchair.

He found himself praying that he would always be the only one.

Jesus.

He was a selfish bastard sometimes.

Webster

What if they were falling apart?

What if he forgot her again?

What if she was the new chapter in his never ending story?

He was sure to tear her out of his book soon enough.

Alex

Alex wondered if he looked in the Mirrior of Erised, would Lorraine appear?

He wasn't so sure anymore.

He shut his eyes.

Webster

She really needed to pee, but Alex had fallen asleep on her bed. She so did not want to miss watching him while he slept. He even looked attractive when he was in dreamland, his hair like a messy halo on his head, his eyes pinched shut, his long eyelashes more visable.

He didn't snore when he slept. He kind of just breathed a little louder. He was a mouth breather, which for some reason made her laugh.

He looked so cute.

Before she could stop herself, she wheeled over to him, careful not to smack into the bed and wake him up. Up close, he was just as attractive. She couldn't help herself. She reached out and stroked his hair.

It felt like feathers.

He didn't wake up.

She didn't mind.