Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Song: 21 Guns by Green Day

~Track 15 on 'Songs For When You Give Up' (made by Alex)

Webster

Without the record store, Webster felt like a lost wandering soul. She missed the place, the smell of dusty old records and weed. She missed the sound of the bell tinkling when a customer walked in. She missed stacking the CDs.

It was hard to move on when you didn't really want to.

Her mam was at her nearly all the time about Alex, but this time Webster wasn't giving in. She didn't know what to say to the man with the rose tattoo anymore.

Well, that was a lie. She knew exactly what she wanted to say to him, but she knew if she said it, she would fall for him all over again. Just as she had swept up the pieces he had smashed...she knew he would do it all over again.

It was kind of like a sick cycle.

The Alex cycle.

She had been just another girl in his cycle. And the sad thing was that her life had been the happiest in his cycle.

She hated him for making her feel this way.

Fuck him.

Fuck him for doing this.

Fuck him for screwing up everything.

Alex

Without the record store, Alex spent most of his time with Lorraine. She was always making him do chores around her house, whether it was washing windows that she couldn't reach, washing her party dresses, cooking her dinner because she was too tired after work. He couldn't take it anymore. He had to go out.

So he told Lorraine that he was going out to the Whiskey Princess, the local bar. He would have rathered to call for Webster, but he knew he was not in her good books at the moment, so he stayed away (not that he particularly wanted to).

He sighed as he stepped into the Whiskey Princess. It was one of his favourite bars around town and usually had a great atmosphere. He was known as a legend in the bar due to the fact that he held the record of the most shots taken in under a minute (thirty-six).

He knew why he had come here.

He was here to forget about her.

He was here to drown his sorrows.

He smiled as he sat down on a high stool at the bar. Some guy named Rian was serving at the bar tonight. He ordered a bottle of Jameson.

"Just a bottle? Nothing else? Won't that be a little strong?" the guy was bombarding him with questions he wasn't in the mood to answer.

He shrugged.

"I'm here to forget about someone." he said as the dude handed him a bottle.

"Drink really isn't the answer." said the man, giving him a frown.

Alex just shook his head and slammed a couple of dollars on to the counter.

"No, you don't understand. Nobody does." he sighed as he opened the bottle.

"Cheers."

He took a huge swig of the whiskey, the liquid burning his throat all the way down. The feeling was greeting him like an old friend. It had been a while since he had drank alcohol.

"Was she pretty?" asked the man as he leaned against the counter. He looked a bit like a potato.

"She was more than pretty." Alex hiccoughed.