Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Song: I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz

~Track 4 on 'Sad Songs For A Bad Day' (made by Alex)

Alex

The thing about time was that it always seemed to stop when something bad had just happened to you. Alex had started to lose count of all the days since the accident. Had it been three days? Four? He had stopped counting after the first day.

Brianna had taken all his liquor away from him and had threatened to pour it all down the kitchen sink if he didn't stop. He had said no.

She still poured it down the sink.

He wanted her.

He wanted her so badly.

Only she could pull him out of the black hole he had created by himself.

Jack had called around, but Alex had thrown a bottle of Jameson at him and had screamed at him to get lost. Deep down, he knew he didn't really want Jack to get lost. He knew that Jack was the only person around here that could keep him sane. He understood how much Webster meant to Alex.

But no.

At the same time, Jack was partially the reason why Webster was in a coma. If he hadn't of made Alex so mad, Alex wouldn't have lashed out at Webster and made her wheel straight in front of a car.

The car.

The screams.

The blood.

Her head in his lap.

Her green eyes closed, possibly never to open again.

If this was his punishment for hurting the girl in the wheelchair, then he would rather die.

************************************

Alex

"Alex!"

He didn't open his eyes.

"Alex I know you're awake you fucker."

He rolled over on his side so his back was facing Brianna. He was not in the mood. He just wished everything and everybody would go away and leave him alone....

"Alex, Webster woke up."

That got his attention.

His eyes snapped open and in seconds he was up and heading for the door, his keys swinging in his hands.

"Alex wait!"

He didn't stop.

"Alex you idiot you haven't even got a shirt on!"

He cursed loudly.

Why did he always forget some article of clothing when he was in a rush to see Webster?

************************************

Alex

"Alex slow down!" screeched Brianna as he broke yet another red light.

"You could have got us killed!"

"But I didn't!"

He slammed his foot down on the breaks as a big ass van pulled out in front of him.

BEEEEEEEP!

"Watch where you're pulling out you stupid--"

"Alex that's enough!"

"The bitch pulled out in front of me! She could have killed us!"

"You would have seen her pull out if you were driving slower."

"We need to get to the hospital."

"Alex, just please calm down."

"Hold on!"

He slammed on the acceleration pedal as the big ass can pulled away. Brianna yelled as she was flung back into her seat.

"Alexander William Gaskarth if your mother was here--"

He skidded around the corner, causing both of them to nearly fall out of Alex's silver Ford.

Brianna had started to breath heavily, her eyes shooting daggers at him.

He sighed and slammed the brakes again as they met another red light.

"How long has she been awake?" he asked softly, drumming his hands against the steering wheel.

Brianna sighed.

"A few hours. No one's allowed in to see her, only her mom."

Alex swallowed.

He had to get in there.

He had to talk to her.

"Alex....the reason she was in a coma...the reason she nearly died during surgery....they tried some sort of new surgery on her."

"Brianna, lets not talk about that right now." he said calmly.

"Can we listen to one of her playlists for you? I always see her making them, but I've never actually listened to one." said Brianna suddenly.

He nodded silently.

They listened to Songs You Should Dance To Because I Can't, and Brianna cranked up the volume to the highest as Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy came on. Maybe she was trying to block out the current situation they were in. Maybe she was trying to block out her worried thoughts about Webster.

That's what Alex was trying to do anyway.

It was incredibly hard to not think of her when he listened to her playlists though.

Her playlists.

There was something about her playlists that made him wonder....

He allowed himself to shut his eyes in thought as he braked at a read traffic light.

Ever since Webster had been in hospital, he had been listening to her playlists, back to back, always on repeat. But the more he listened to her songs on each playlist, the more he wondered whether her songs were actually trying to tell him something.

The idea had struck him after he had listened to Patient Love by Passenger and Teardrops on my guitar by Taylor swift.

Was Wesbter trying to tell him something?

Was she in love with him?

"Alex the lights are green." Brianna's voice made him jump and his eyes snapped open.

"We're nearly at the hospital anyway. Look, it's straight ahead." she said as she nodded forward.

He sighed and slammed on the acceleration pedal for the last time.

And for the first time in his entire life, Alex Gaskarth felt scared.

He was scared because he didn't know what to expect when he arrived at the hospital.