Chapter 5 // Kenma

Kenma kept on walking while holding onto Hinata's wrist. He wanted to be away from Kuroo before anything else. Kuroo had always been a great friend to Kenma, he was the main reason he even started playing volleyball when he was younger. Being friends with Kuroo had always given Kenma some sense of security. Especially when he was younger, this security was not getting bullied for being different and having poor social skills. Later on, it became the security of always having a friend and not being alone. Kuroo was always around to support Kenma and as his best friend, Kuroo had complete trust in whatever Kenma said, he knew what the puddinghead was capable of and because of Kuroo's trust in him, people actually listened to what Kenma had to say.

This time around, Kuroo felt very different and he clearly didn't like Kenma hanging out with his new friend. Kenma just couldn't comprehend why this was the case; Kuroo had always been the person to encourage Kenma to "go out more" or to "make more friends". Now that Kenma had finally made a friend without Kuroo's help he had expected a better reaction out of him, but he really seemed to dislike his friendship with Shoyo.

Could it be because they were rivals of some sort? Kenma wish he understood why Kuroo acted like this to the point he even felt embarrassed in front of Shoyo, Kenma knew that he would have to ask Kuroo about this later, he just did not know how to, wishing that this problem would just resolve itself.

"Kenma- is everything okay..?" Truthfully Kenma had forgotten about his current situation, which was him dragging Shoyo. As soon as Hinata's words brought him back into reality he quickly let go of the younger boy's wrist. "Sorry" Kenma's words were very soft as he was once again startled with reality. His friend gave him a little reassuring smile, telling him that it was okay even though he might not have understood anything of what just happened.

"Didn't we want to get dinner before going to the arcade?" Hinata's voice had just gotten more gentle than what it usually was, it was still happy, but not as overenthusiastic, merged with a tiny bit of concern. Kenma looked back at him and thought for a while, "yeah, you're right. Let's do that," he nodded.

The two picked out a place with cheap ramen which was relatively close to the arcade. Over dinner, they talked about many things like the games they were going to play at the arcade. The subject of Kuroo wasn't brought up again at any point during dinner and both teens slowly started to fall back into how they usually were and behaved. Kenma told the younger boy about all the games he could play at the arcade and Hinata seemed confused but interested, he asked many questions. Both the boys had a great time.

"I'll pay this time" Kenma proposed first before the redhead could come up with a counteroffer. "But Kenma, the price of one drink isn't equal to the price of a meal," Shoyo insisted, but it was already too late for him to do something about it as the older teen had already taken out his money and was about to pay for the meal. "Don't worry," he mumbled. Hinata accepted it, after a fair bit of pouting.

After that, they took off to the arcade where they played a lot of games, they especially enjoyed Mario Kart since it was one of the only games where Kenma actually had to compete to win, unlike most of the other games. After a few rounds of that, they decided that they would pick out a prize and head home as it was nearing 10 pm. Kenma won every single game, except for one round, which did not bother him as much as he had expected, especially after seeing how pumped up Shoyo got after achieving his first and only victory that evening.

"... Kenma! Let's get the teddybear!" The younger redhead shouted towards his friend as he was excitedly studying all the prizes. Kenma knew that all the prizes sucked, after spending an entire evening and quite some money they could barely afford the smallest prizes, but he was glad that Shoyo didn't seem to notice that and was overly excited about getting a stuffed animal which was the size of a small water bottle.

"I'm so happyyyyy~" Shoyo sang to himself as the two boys walked back to the bus station while clinging the teddybear which they won together to his chest. Kenma was happy, he had really enjoyed himself today and his friend seemed to have had a good time too.

The only thing that was still bothering him however was how he was supposed to deal with Kuroo later. Kuroo is his best friend and he never had trouble speaking to him, but this time it felt different and Kenma didn't know how he was supposed to approach this just yet...