Chapter 16 // Hinata

As dinner time was nearing, Hinata and Kageyama quickly cleaned up and took an incredibly quick shower. The two first-year students barely made it on time, meaning they couldn't pick their places to sit anymore. This is how Hinata and Kageyama ended up sitting with Nishinoya and Asahi.

Unlike lunch, dinner was served in Shinzen's auditorium. It was a large space with enough room for all of the school's volleyball teams to eat at the same time. The dinner provided by the school's staff and volunteers was curry, which turned out to be a little spicier than the redhead originally had anticipated.

"AHHH Kagewama, the fwood ish so spicy!" Hinata blatantly called out after taking a huge bite, the teen started fanning his mouth, hoping it would make the pain go away. The dark-haired first-year looked away, probably in annoyance. "Of course it's spicy, don't be such a moron," he spoke as he slightly pushed the redhead away from him using his elbow. "And don't come so close to me."

After the first few bites, Hinata got used to the spicy taste, unfortunately, he was no longer able to taste the rest of the curry either. The teen looked around him and noticed his teammates sweating profoundly because of the food, even Kageyama.

Dinner went by rather quickly and after dessert, Hinata and Kageyama came to the arrangement that they would meet up at Karasuno's room 30 minutes later. If they were to train right now, the two of them wouldn't be at their best. First, they needed to let the food settle in their stomachs.

On that note, Hinata decided to look for Kenma, the redhead hadn't been able to spot his friend during dinner, but to be fair, it was very crowded in the auditorium. The first-year was excited to tell Kenma about his latest purchase for the Nintendo Switch. The redhead had used his friend's birthday present to buy Animal Crossing, so the two of them could play Kenma's current favorite game together.

Unfortunately, when Hinata came to Nekoma's sleeping area, he wasn't able to spot his feline-like friend.

"Ermm, have any of you seen Kenma?" Hinata asked the teens, he only saw one person who he knew by name, that being Lev. "Ah, Hinata, hi." The light-haired first-year greeted the redhead, who in response was once again intimidated by his peer's height. "Sorry I haven't seen Kenma, maybe Kuroo knows where he is?"

"Don't bother checking with Kuroo," another teen spoke up, he was relatively short, especially compared to Lev, but still taller than the redhead. Hinata recognized him as Nekoma's libero. "Kuroo went out to train just now, honestly, it would surprise me if he knew about Kenma's current whereabouts, sorry." The first-year nodded, slightly disappointed. "Alright then, I'll look somewhere else, thanks, everyone!" On that note, Shoyo continued his search for Nekoma's setter in the little time he had left before he was supposed to meet Kageyama, sadly for him, he wasn't able to find his friend.

With five minutes left on the clock, Hinata decided to quickly get changed back into his pe clothes and shoes. When he entered Karasuno's room he was met with the first-year setter, who just finished tying up his shoelaces. "Oi, you're late, dumbass," he spoke up, to which Hinata pointed at the clock. "I'm not late, I still have three minutes left." The dark-haired teen didn't verbally respond to Hinata, but he gave him a look. "Okay okay, I will hurry up," the redhead groaned.

In a little over three minutes, Hinata was ready to take off too, after the usual bickering, the two first-years set off to the gymnasium.

The weather outside was rather chilly, not necessarily cold, as it was July and the weather was quite nice, but by this time, the sun had already disappeared behind the mountains and the temperature started to decline quickly once the sun was gone. Luckily, the two were nearing the gymnasium by now. The door was opened widely and the sounds of balls being thrown around and shoes slipping could be heard coming from the inside.