Chapter 27 // Kenma

Today had been such a messy day. The first half of the day was pretty usual, but Kenma's worst nightmare unfolded after practice. The second-year setter had opened up about his potential feelings regarding Shoyo to Kuroo when the two of them thought they were alone, but it turned out they weren't. 

Kageyama already seemed to dislike Kenma, especially after Kenma confronted the first-year about his public outburst in which the raven-haired setter publically embarrassed Shoyo to the point the redhead cried. After Kageyama got caught eavesdropping on Kenma and Kuroo's conversation, the second-year's thoughts ran wild, it got so bad, the teen had a panic attack. During dinner, Kenma was too afraid to approach Shoyo, in case Kageyama had told the redhead about the second-year's feelings. It turned out this wasn't the case when Shoyo came to pick up Kenma from his room, to hang out. That's exactly what they were doing right now. The two spent time getting to know each other while taking a walk outside, Kenma just proposed to head back inside as the sun was setting, which Shoyo agreed to. 

"Where do you want to sit?" Kenma asked the redhead, who returned the question with a bright smile. "The same place we sat last time," the first-year happily responded. As the two teens entered the building, Shoyo pointed towards the stairs, which the duo sat underneath last time. 

"Seriously?" The second-year asked the redhead, slightly confused by his proposal. "I'm not necessarily against it, but I'm sure there are more comfortable places to sit at," Kenma added.

"Yeah, I thought it was cozy," Shoyo commented, he sounded a little shy. "I thought it could be our place, you know?"

"God, you're so cheesy, Shoyo," Kenma sighed as he turned his head away in an attempt to hide the blush he felt coming up.

"Is that bad? You don't like it?" The first-year asked, his voice a little softer than usual as if he were disappointed. Kenma shook his head, "it's not that, I just- ah well, don't mind me. Let's just sit down."

The redhead looked up at the teen, his eyes shimmering brightly. "Let's go then!" Shoyo cheerfully chimed as he happily walked in the direction of the stairs. 

Moments like these were the moments Kenma questioned his feelings for the first-year the most. He felt a strong happy sensation spread throughout his body. The teen found himself unable to move, it was like the teen was a videogame character who needed a moment to realize the cutscene had ended and he could walk again. Kenma had never experienced these feelings towards anyone else, was this what Kuroo meant when he asked if the second-year liked Shoyo? 

"Kenma? Aren't you coming?" the first-year asked, peeking over at the setter. "Y-yes, of course, I'm coming," he second-year awkwardly responded as he was brought back to reality. Kenma started walking over in the direction of the staircase. 

The two teens sat down against the wall underneath the stairs. The floor was cold, the wall was uncomfortable to sit against and the ground was rather dusty, it was almost as if nobody cared for this place except for him and Shoyo. 

"So?" the redhead said, it seemed like he was waiting for a response from the second-year.

"So? What so?" Kenma asked, incredibly confused.

"I told you about myself, right? You had a chance to get to know me, now I want to get to know more about you too."

"So? " 

"So, tell me about yourself," Shoyo asked as he pulled his legs to his chest, hopefully looking at Kenma. It seemed like the first-year was waiting for the setter to just start talking about himself.

"I wouldn't know where to start," Kenma replied as he copied the redhead's position, resting his head on his knees. 

"Alright, I'll ask you a question then," Shoyo replied as his face displayed a really serious expression, it seemed like he was lost in his thoughts, thinking really hard of a question to ask the second-year.