Chapter 39 // Kenma

"I'm so proud of you, Pudding Head," the tall third-year spoke up as the two teens were waiting for the redhead to arrive in Tokyo. 

"Shut up," Kenma didn't even look up from his phone to properly address Kuroo. 

From: Shoyo
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:R...
I have no clue where I am? But everything is big, so I assume I'm in Tokyo already!!

The second-year sheepishly smiled at his phone, it was 8:56 pm, meaning that the redhead would arrive within minutes. 

"I'm serious though," Kuroo continued to speak even if Kenma gave off the impression he wasn't interested in what the teen was saying at all. "I don't think you've ever voluntarily invited someone for your birthday, beside me that is."

Kenma finally looked up from the device as he glared at the black-haired teen. "Voluntarily? If I remember correctly, you kept nagging me about it." 

"Maybe so, but you gotta admit you wanted him to come," the third-year gave his childhood friend a sly smirk.

No comment. 

"You're welcome," Kuroo spoke up with a victorious look on his face, Kenma hated him for it but appreciated his friend altogether. 

"I didn't think he would actually come, considering the qualifiers and everything," the second-year finally admitted what held him back from inviting the first-year at first. "I didn't want to get rejected." 

"But you didn't get rejected, did you?"

"I suppose not." 

To: Shoyo
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:R...
See you soon, Shoyo :)

It was almost 9 pm, meaning that the majority of Kenma's birthday had already passed. Normally, the second-year wasn't the type to go out at night, even for special occasions. The teen decided to make an exception, however. All because Shoyo was coming over. 

"You're lucky your birthday is on a Friday," Kuroo tried to resume the conversation in an attempt to save it from dying down. 

"A Saturday would have been better," Kenma argued. "Then Shoyo could have been there the entire day."

Kuroo chuckled in response, "Well he's gonna be there for the entire weekend, birthday or not. Besides, if you're lucky, you will have your birthday on a Saturday next year. Not that it matters." 

The conversation died right then and there. 

The weather was nice, the sky had already turned dark and the moon was blocked out by several clouds. It was warm for an October night, Kenma wore a light jacket over his hoodie. 

After what felt like ages, Kenma saw a public bus turn around the corner and drive in the direction of the station the second-year was standing at. There was no doubt it was Shoyo's, the setter had checked the bus plan several times, and the redhead's bus would be the only one to arrive in this time frame. 

"That must be him," Kenma spoke out his thoughts as he pointed in the direction the bus was coming from. 

"Yeah, that would make sense," Kuroo agreed with the second-year and checked his phone for the time. "It's 9 pm on the dot." 

The bus stopped right in front of the duo, and the second-year clenched his fists as the doors opened. It had been three months, Kenma wanted to see the redhead again so badly. 

After a few seconds the setter noticed a smaller figure make his way toward the front of the bus and not too long after, Kenma was finally met with the sight of the cheerful redhead enthusiastically waving to the second-year. God, it had been way too long.