Chapter 15 // Kenma

"Hey uhm Shoyo, are you guys like... okay?" Kenma carefully asked his friend, trying to phrase his words nicely.

Karasuno had just played their first 3 matches and to be fair, it wasn't looking too great. They seemed much more intimidating and connected back in May. They lost every single one of their matches.

The redhead looked confused; "yeah? Yeah, we're doing fine, why would you ask that?" The second-year student looked away to avoid eye-contact, he didn't want to tell Shoyo that Karasuno's teamwork seemed off today.

"He means that you guys are no competition for us! Blehhhhh!" A big wave of annoyance flooded through Kenma's body. Next to him had appeared Nekoma's incredibly tall, clumsy first-year; Lev.

Shoyo literally looked up to Lev, before he was able to give him an answer. Seeing the two of them next to each other made Hinata look so small, it was kind of endearing. "Haha, well," the redhead started speaking. "It seems like we all trained so hard individually that we still have a hard time combining it, but I promise you we'll get it together in no time and then BAM! We will blow all of you away!"

"You have no right to comment on other people Lev," Kenma added to his friend's short speech; "Shoyo's technique is much more polished than yours anyways." Now it was the tall first-year who turned his head away to avert Kenma's gaze. Lev knew how scary the setter could get when annoyed.

"Kenma! Do you really think so?!" Shoyo replied enthusiastically to which the Kenma gave him a small nod. "But Lev was so cool too! He went all BAM! POOF! SMASH! On the court! I wish I was as tall as you are Lev!" Hinata spoke with his eyes sparkling, he was always genuine. The tall first-year looked back at the redhead, forgetting all about his teammate's presence. "Hahaha? You think so? I mean, of course, I'm a little awesome, but you are so quick!"

Oh. Oh no. Kenma just realized that the two first-years would probably end up becoming friends, because of their similar attributes, which weren't annoying on Hinata, but Lev was something else. The second-year hoped that this wouldn't mean he just got robbed of his quality time with Shoyo.

"Time for lunch!" some teachers yelled across the gymnasium.  "Oh shoot, let's go, guys," said Kuroo, who had just joined his underclassmen. "I'm serious, Bokuto is going to eat all the good stuff before we even arrive if we don't go now." The third-year put his hand on Kenma's shoulder and dragged him along before he could even reply, Shoyo followed the two of them rapidly, trying to keep up with Kuroo's long legs. Kenma faintly smiled at himself, thinking that it was cute.

The thre- four of them, Kenma almost forgot about Lev, went outside, where they were met with warm, sunny weather. The staff set up a lot of picnic tables on the school terrain, so there was enough space for everyone to sit while eating. This was an improvement compared to last year, back then Kenma had to sit in the wet grass after it had rained heavily the days before.

"Come on Shoyo, let's get some food and look for a free table before all of the seats are taken," the second-year spoke to his redheaded friend while quickly dragging him away from Kuroo and Lev, which was the real reason for Kenma's sudden hurry. "Okay, great idea Kenma!"

After the two teens picked some food from the pretty limited buffet they sat down at one of the last remaining free tables. Kenma sighed as a sign of realization that the two of them would have to share a table with other people, he just hoped it wouldn't be anyone too who was too overwhelming.

"Oi, did you think you could run away from me?" The second-year looked up and his eyes met with his childhood friend's eyes once again. Well if it would only be Kuroo who joined them Kenma guessed that this break would be manageable. The third-year took a seat opposite of the duo.