C H A P T E R N I N E

Chapter Nine: Happy place
Neveah's Pov

"Okay we're gonna start with a simple exercise of breathing."

"What-"

"Shh." Mr Rodriguez and I sit on the floor, on the space we created. We were sitting criss cross apple sauce, our hands on our knees.

"No slouching." I say and he glares at me before complying. "Head high and close your eyes."

He does this immediately with no hesitation. Could it be that he's beginning to trust me.

"Good, Mr Rodriguez-"

"Carter." He says with his eyes still closed and posture perfect. I nod, even though he can't see me, correcting myself.

"Okay, Carter, I want you to forget everything and only listen to me and focus on your breathing." I stand up and walk around him slowly, talking to him.

"I want you to think of something that makes you happy. Something that is not going to cause no anger whatsoever. Breathe." I remind him. After two minutes of silence I begin to talk and encourage him, "Your concentration is excellent, Carter."

He doesn't move and I continue, "Now I want you to place your father in that image that's in your head." I take my clipboard and pen, getting to write everything.

"Tell me everything, what's happening."

Carter Rodriguez - POV

It was raining, the rain poured down on my pale skin. I stood motionless outside my house, across from me was where a melanin beauty stands, her hair was beautiful, her body incredible. Her lips flavorful and big. glazed in a clear coating of lipgloss. Her nose, droplets of the rain plummeting of the tip. Her eyes beautiful dark brown eyes, Compressed with fear. Next to her stood my father, with a gun to her head. It infuriated me. He was taking someone that made me happy.

"Tell me everything, what's happening." Her lips move swiftly as she speaks to me, with her eyes glued to me. Still, fear is pronounced. I take a deep breath in, and part my lips getting ready to scare her with the way my mind works.

"It's raining. Hard." I say and I hear her write something behind me, regardless I keep breathing like she told me to and in my head she's still maintaining eye contact with me.

"I'm outside my house. My dad in front of me, holding a gun towards-"

I cut myself off when I feel myself getting angry, I clench my fists and I can feel pain in my hands soon enough.

"Breathe, Carter." Her lips skillfully move, and I stare at them. The way my name rolls off her tongue sends me into euphoria.

Inhale and exhale.

Inhale and exhale.

"Neveah." I say and she writes something down.

"Me?" She asks soflty and I remain quiet, eyes closed. Breathing. Motionless. Watching the image in front of me, it made me feel a feeling I hadn't felt in a while. I fear I might lose Neveah. My only source of happiness in this dark place they locked me in.

"He has a gun towards you."