Part 3 - Adventure of a Lifetime

SIDENOTE: The song might not fit the writing.  The video above is just the source from which I got the name for this chapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What great fun.." he thought.

The sulking figure behind him lousily stomped one foot in front of the other.

Tearful skies released their sadness and pain onto the ground below.

How disappointing.

Adventure.  That exciting chill, followed by that addictive adrenaline. 

Yes, that was it.

He was an addict for adventure, always craving its abilities. The gears of his brain were put to work, and he almost never failed to get out of a situation.

And that girl, well she seemed to be an adventure. 

Until she walked up behind him, broken and staggering in the rain.

But why would she be following him?  She had no reason to.

Could she be a spy from another corporation?  Plotting to take him down in the search for the stone?

No.  She didn't have that look.  She wasn't that type of person, it seemed.

But maybe that's the perfect cover - up. 

He leaned against the wall, the bricks resisting against his back.  He pulled out a cigarette, quickly lit it, and watched as the puff of smoke rose.  And fell.

It's funny how fast things can fly up until the reality hits them and they are back on the floor.

He turned to his left, watching that girl make her way through the rain.  He could feel himself grin.

But he was so very numb.  Numbed of feeling.

He shifted his gaze back to the lonely figure.

She was so lost.  Paranoid, in her own world of fear.  Wandering through a forest of pain and anguish, burdened by regrets that she desperately held onto. 

So afraid to let them go.  So afraid to let them go for the fear that she would lose them forever.  The memories that were attached to them.

So easy to read, that girl was. 

Until she wasn't. 

Her eyes constantly danced around, until they landed on his.  That tense expression of hers seemed to soften. 

She was drenched. 

Pathetic.

Needless to say,  he didn't care much for her at the time.

He pounced the second she closed her starry eyes.

Soon, he was standing behind her.

She hunched over in disappointment, confirming that she had opened her eyes.

"Why are you following me?" his sharp voice cut through the pouring rain.

She turned quickly, those eyes once again open.

"W-what?" she'd stammer, her voice so fragile that it seemed even a slight breeze could beat it. 

This naive act was getting a bit obnoxious.

He could see her clearly through the rain, her figure radiant.

"Who do you work for?" he asked, raising his voice in frustration.  He could feel a crease appearing as he furrowed his eye brows.