Part 15 - Come Undone

SIDENOTE: The song might not fit the writing. The video above is just the source from which I got the name for this chapter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to ask myself why I did things.

It kept me from acting on impulse, or doing something stupid.

And yet, lately, I've found myself being more stupid than I ever have been.

So, I no longer ask myself why.

Only who.

Who am I doing it for.

To me, that's become the most important thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do I really have to do this?" I groaned as Jolene shoved yet another thick bundle of clothing into my arms.

"Yes- how hard is it to understand? Those clothes are dirt.. infested- and don't even get me started on that smell," she fervently waved her hand in front of her face to demonstrate how stinky she believed the stench to be, "Just change."

I narrowed my eyes before whirling around and grumpily stomping to the restroom.

Was it my fault I didn't get a blink of sleep last night- because of that girl out there in the shop- or that we got chased by a wacko group of creeps?

No- no, it wasn't.

And now this girl was acting like she's been the leader from the beginning- when I think we've all agreed that John was our designated "savior". 

Wouldn't be surprised if he's killed a few.

I could hear a distant calling from Jolene, pestering Vivian to try on another set of these cheap clothes from this shop- which is in the middle of who knows where...

I looked up into the musty mirror of the restroom, where my blurred face frowned at the image being reflected.

It isn't easy to look into your face every day, knowing that everything you do will never satisfy anyone- not even yourself.

But it is the cruel reality that I have been forced into.

It wasn't long before the six of us were standing before the counter, setting a wad of cash on its transparent surface.

"Thank you for buying.  Come again!" the employee over excitedly offered, his voice sounding congested.  His eyes were locked on the horrendous woman beside me.  

How could he even stand to look at her that long?  After a while, you start to see how small her nose is- and the way her red curls overpowered every other feature on her face.  Or the way she is so obnoxiously attractive that it makes me want to puke.

I did not just say that.  I must be going crazy.

"Trust me, even if I had to die, I would never- never come back to this place.  I mean- these products are worth less than what we are paying, not to mention the a-tro-cious clothi-" Jolene started, clearly frustrated.

"Thank you." I glared at Jolene before snatching the change on the counter.

"Act your age and stop whining, you wimp." I growled at her, pulling at her to dispel the deathly stare that remained on her beautiful, yet putrid face.

I watched the door close as John briskly walked outside, Vivian and my siblings trailing him like lambs being led to slaughter, oblivious of what was to come.