Part 12 - Strange Magic

"Don't trust everyone you meet."

They warned me too late.

The bruises that lined my arms didn't go away.

Those who are careless will face the consequences.

This is a fact. It always will be.

And my proof is my past.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I let out a small sigh as I made my way through the dense forests. 

I could feel the rough bark brush against my hands and the pestering leaves embrace my arms.  With every step, more dirt collected on my filthy feet and weak sticks were left broken. 

Whistling winds called out as the trees danced to their music.

Who was he to think that he could mess around with me like that?

Some crazy dingus that man was..

A soft laugh escaped my lips before I could stop it, taking sanctuary in the large gatherings of trees that lay here and there.

Maybe it was kinda funny.

I glanced up ahead to see a small opening, slightly obstructed by worn-out branches.

Before I knew it, the sky above me had been freed from the cage of thick, luscious leaves, leaving only clear space overhead.  My feet sank into the cool sand, finally escaping coarse terrains. 

I took a deep breath. Fresh air flooded my nostrils.  I closed my eyes, savoring the moment.  Wind swirled around me, allowing a familiar chill to spread through every part of my body.

My eyes fluttered open as I took a few steps forward, soft sand capturing my dirtied feet.  Waves rolled over them, blurring the once distinct outline of their structure.  Over and over.  Coldness consumed my feet, washing away their warmth, and with it, the dirt.

I could've just watched it.  Just stood there and watched it forever.  It's not like it was anything different from how I was living.

The waters glowed as they rose and fell in surges.  A figure, almost blended in with the oddly luminous darkness, sat at the ocean's edge.  Lucid wisps of sky followed him, almost as if he were some superior being that was meant to be praised.

I mean, with those looks, I'm sure anyone would praise him.

But I wouldn't.  I refuse to.

His brown hair was ruffled, and I could remember how it shook as he laughed. 

And his gleaming eyes.   Even as they darkened, nothing could prevent that unearthly glow from bursting through, setting a dim radiance to fester. So welcoming, but fearful.  Vulnerable in their generosity.

One moment, you could melt in those beautiful eyes, and the next, you were frozen at their sudden dullness.  When he didn't overthink things, his eyes were so soft.  Almost as if you could just fall right into them.  Until you realize that you're diving into rock.  He suddenly begins to worry, and all of the beauty is replaced by two very vacant emeralds of pain.

I could remember his nose, long and narrow, as it sat on his face.  Tight-lipped as he always was, staring out at the fading clouds.  Sharp jawline and prominent ears, similar to those of his younger brother.  Gifted with a thick neck to match his wide shoulders and muscular physique.