Part 19 - Gone.

Waves ruthlessly pounded down at her fragile body, over and over, reiterating the pain that she felt and the pain she could no longer feel.

Feeling.

Feeling had drifted away in the rough, frenzied sea surrounding her. The sinister chill spread through her body, enveloping her in a state of numbness. The waters soothed her, convincing her that the ocean surrounding her was nothing but a friend. She opened her eyes to see the water above her, expecting to see the gentle blue of the water, and the curious streaks of light peeking in from above. But she only saw black. The black that dressed the ceiling of her room. The black that made her cower under the sheets. The black that slowly crept behind her, waiting until it could finally corrupt her with its wicked touch. Pure darkness that mocked her. Pure darkness that made her heart pound faster until all she could hear was the thumping of her chest. A form of fear presented in front of you. Trying didn't seem like an option. There was no longer a purpose waiting for her above those perturbed waters.

The thrashing of the water could be felt in surges. It built up, all the happiness and joy, and then crashed down on her, leaving only remnants of the broken tragedy, showing her what she had destroyed. What her hands had destroyed. What her touch could do. If she could numb the pain, then it didn't matter what lengths she had to go to, right? If she could get rid of the burden, they would be happy. A low battle cry erupted, resonating from distant waters, but she was deaf to their warnings. Her clothes were drifting around her, reminding her of clouds on a summer day. Fluffy clouds that she once reminisced of. The wide, vast plains of the sky, populated by creatures of all kinds. She opened her eyes at the realization.

The weight came crashing down all at once, her throat dry but wet. Her chest conflicted against the lull of the sea. Her eyes opened but closed. Her hair obstructing her vision, but frantically trying to escape the threads that kept it swimming in terror. The summer day, but cold, crashing night. It was just pure, awing cold that made even the largest of sweaters seem like tank tops. It struck her as she convulsed, the only thing holding her being the will to sink and the weight of the water. Her whole existence was surreal. Almost as if she were out of body, watching herself, even though she knew that it, whatever that vicious thing was, was her. But she liked to think it wasn't. And then she was her again. And then her body was no longer holding up itself. And then her damp hair lay limp around her shoulders. Splashes of water flicked at her, mocking the vulnerable state o-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Go Fish."

I shuddered, coming back to my senses.

"You're lying." A rough voice accused, an inculpatory tone hidden underneath the strange, almost uncanny patience.

"No- John, you're cheating by looking at my cards."

"I wouldn't need to look at your cards if you weren't a cheater."

"Hey! She's cheating too!"

My eyes widened as I frowned.

"What- No! It's a simple game of Go Fish!"  I exclaimed, holding my free hand up.

"Show us your cards."  Tommie began to chant.

"Hey- You, of all people, know that I wouldn't cheat, Tommie! We played a game earlier and you won!" I shot back, narrowing my eyes.  I frantically glanced back to John for support, but he was staring at the young boy's sleeve.