Part Five

Easy company was heading back to their position overlooking Foy but some members were left behind in order to help D-Company, Rose was walking with Bill who looked down at the foxhole and said "good luck ladies" Rose hit the back of his head and looked down at Christensen and smiled "see you Burt" the soldier rolled his eyes and shouted after her "for the last time it's Pat" Rose smiled as Bill looked at her questioningly "what?" she asked shrugging her shoulders "it annoys him"

Easy company had finally made it back to their old positions and Rose walked past Toye who jumped into his fox hole and made a sound of annoyance "ah, you gotta-be fucking kidding me" he looked around angrily "someones gonna die, someones gonna fucking die" Bill walked next to Rose as Toye turned to them "Ghono, look at this shit, one of those 1st battalion fuckers took a dump in my foxhole" Bill and looked up at the trees around them to see that they had been blown up "i think they took a shit in everyone's foxhole Joe" Rose pulled her coat closer to her in order to stop the cold from getting to her body as the snow fell softly to the ground "i don't think they wanted to spend much time above ground"

Rose was helping collect branches, logs and leaves to fortify the foxholes, she had a cigarette hanging loosely from her mouth as she began to carry a branch towards anyone who needed it when Lip ran past her shouting "take cover! Incoming" a massive explosion stopped Rose from moving forwards as a shell landed in front of her, she was blown off her feet but quickly got up and began to run. Rose ran forward a little and saw Toye fall down but she couldn't see anymore as snow and debri was blocking her view, as there was no foxhole close by Rose lent against a tree and held her head in her hands and waited for it to stop. Rose looked around the tree and saw Toye led on his back and he was moving slightly, Rose looked up to see where the shells where landing and she saw they were landing further back into the forest so she moved over to Toye and looked for injuries. Rose froze when she saw the bottom part of his leg was no longer attached to his body and she saw blood pooling around him "hey, Joe can you hear me?" she asked leaning over him and lightly tapping his cheek, the man started to slowly open his eyes and looked down to see Rose wrapping his knee and then he saw the bottom part of his leg next to him, Toye saw the medics mouth moving but all he could hear was ringing "... oe, Joe can you hear me?" Toye led back onto his back in shock but nodded at the medic "ok, we need to get to cover ok?" Blood soaked the bandage that Rose had wrapped tightly as she moved to Toye's head and looked around for a foxhole. The artillery had stopped but Rose knew that it would start again soon "ok, Joe you gotta help me here, i'm gonna pull you by your coat but you have to push off the ground with your leg to help me, can you do that?" Toye nodded before he began to mumble "i gotta get up!" Rose knew that his body and his mind was going into shock but there was nothing she could do, she needed to get the both of them to cover.