Chapter.17

Niall was awoken up by someone whispering his name.

He lazily opened his eyes and saw his sister-in-law and his brother along with their father in his room.

For a second he thought something was wrong until he remembered that it was his mother's birthday.

He looked at Theo cuddling into his chest and smiled, pressing a kiss to the head of the toddler.

"Morning everyone." Niall yawned. "What time is it?"

They all answered with greetings of their own.

"It's a little after six." Bobby answered and Denise walked to the other side of Niall's bed to wake up Theo.

"Six? Why are we up this early?" Niall asked as he sat up and stretched his arms and yawned again.

"Yeah, Maura is such an early bird, we have to do this before she wakes up." Bobby replied and Niall nodded.

"Alright, I'll be down in a bit." He said and walked to the bathroom after they left.

He freshened up quickly and walked downstairs in time for Greg to place the last pancakes on Maura's plate.

"Okay, I'm done with everything. Eggs check, pancakes check, fresh orange juice, check and red velvet cupcake." Greg said placing the items on a tray. "Theo, bud, wanna place the candle on Nana's cupcake?" He asked his very excited son.

Theo nodded and Niall watched fondly and Greg helped him place the single candle with a bright smile on his face.

His brother was an amazing father. He was so good with his son and Niall wondered if he would also be as good with his daughter.

He was brought out of his thoughts by Bobby asking them to go up quietly as he followed behind with the tray of Maura's breakfast.

They walked up quietly and when they got to the bedroom, Greg slowly pushed it open.

Maura was still asleep which was great and Niall watched as Theo squirmed in his mother's arms.

When the little boy was put down, he rushed inside and jumped onto the bed.

"Gamma wakey wakey!" He shook his grandmother.

Maura stirred awake and opened her eyes. He smiled at Theo and kissed his head, not noticing the others until they yelled.

"Happy birthday!"

It was a sweet moment as Bobby served his wife and they all wished her a happy birthday.

When she blew the candle, Theo smiled and looked at her.

"What did you wish for, gamma?"

"If I tell you then it won't true." Maura smiled and ruffled up his hair.

*

That night, after they got back from Maura's favourite restaurant where they had taken her for a birthday dinner because she didn't want a party, Niall found himself seated on the sofa in the living room while Denise gave his feet a rub.

"I'm so beat." He complained when she was done.

"I remember this, but it will pass quickly before you know it, you will have your baby in your arms and forget about all this." She smiled at him and he smiled back, picturing himself with her in his arms.

He hadn't yet told his family what he was having and he decided now was the time.

"Yeah, I can't wait to have her in my ar-" He didn't finish his sentence because it was cut short by Denise.