CUARENTA Y DOS • 42

Joel's POV

I lost it. I had my dead baby girl in my arms. I didn't hear her cry. I didn't see her move. Nothing. Nothing a father would usually be able to experience after the birth of their baby.

"I love you. Fly high, my little angel," I said softly as I kissed her tiny cold hand. I set her down on the little bed-like thing they had for her. I caressed her cheek and walked out of the room.

I got back to the waiting room with the others but I just leaned my back onto the door frame. My knees gave up on me, and I slided down to the floor. Hugging my knees up to chest, I curled up, breaking down all over again.

Adriana's POV

They let me go into Erick's room. I sat down on a chair next to his bed and held his hand. He looked awful. He had stitches all over. His leg was hung up since it was broken. His arm was wrapped up.

"Hi bebe," I whispered softly. "Wake up please. I need you. Dilara needs you. We all need you right now," I added with tears rolling down my cheeks. I quickly wiped them away.

There were knocks in the door. "Come in," I said and Renae and Evaluna walked in. "Hey," Renae greeted me and came to give me a hug which I gladly accepted. "Joel went to Mariana," Evaluna said to me.

I raised an eyebrow at her, confused. "Mariana Rosalia Pimentel De Leon," she sighed. Then it hit me. The baby.

"The funeral will be held once Dilara wakes up and they can take her there," Renae added. "How is she?" I asked them about Dilara.

"She's still unconscious, she's probably gonna wake up soon since the anaesthetic will wear off in a bit," Evaluna said. "She's gonna be fucked up," I said softly and the girls nodded.

"She carried the baby for the past 8 months almost 9. How else do you think she'd react," Renae said. I sighed and turned back to Erick. "He'll be okay," Evaluna said to me, giving me a reassuring smile.

I smiled back softly. "Dilara needs him more than anything right now. That's for sure. He needs to pull through soon, in order to get Dilara together once she wakes up and finds out about baby Maria," I said.

"He's his sister's pacifier. Without him, I don't even think Joel would be able to keep her together," Evaluna sighed. "I mean, Joel can for sure, but not right now. He's just as wrecked, that was his baby too," Renae said, agreeing.

We heard soft knocks on the door and Richard's head peeked in. "Dilara's awake. We need you girls there right now. All three of you," he said.

Richard's POV

"She's awake," a nurse said when she came into the waiting room. "Thank you," I nodded to her and smiled. She returned the favor and walked away. Joel took in a deep breath. "Let's go," he said and we all walked behind him.

"You sure you don't want alone time with her?" Zabdiel asked. "I can't right now," Joel muttered and we simply nodded. He opened the door, revealing Dilara lying down on the bed, her back facing the door.

We could hear soft sobs coming from her. "Babe," Joel said to her softly as he sat on the side of her bed. She turned around and sat up slowly. She was crying.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and sobbed as he wrapped his arms around her waist. "I didn't even get to hold her," her voice, muffled.

Chris just sat on the couch near the window with Zabdiel. I walked out to get the girls. I knocked on Erick's room door and opened it, peaking my head in.

"Dilara's awake. We need you girls there right now. All three of you," I said to them and they all got up and we walked to Dilara's room together.

The girls went to the other side of Dilara's bed as I went to sit with Chris and Zabdiel on the couch.

"Hey," Evaluna said softly rubbing her back. Dilara pulled away from Joel and tried to wipe her tears, but failed since they wouldn't stop falling. Evaluna pulled Dilara gently and gave her a side hug. Adriana sat on the bed in front of her as Dilara was now sitting up with her legs slightly folded.

Adriana reached for Dilara's hands and held them tightly. "How are you feeling? Besides, you know," she asked her. "I feel messed up. My stomach hurts from the glass thing. Everything hurts right now. Physically and emotionally," she responded, sniffling.

"How's Erick?" she asked. "A concussion, a broken leg and rib and a sprained wrist. Other than that he's fine," Adriana explained to her and she nodded.

"Can I go see the baby?" she turned and asked Joel. He nodded. "Come," he said and helped her up since he already got the permission from the doctor earlier. I went over to help him get the wheelchair and he helped her sit on it. "You good?" I asked and she nodded.

Joel pushed her out of the room to go see their baby one more time before they got her ready for the funeral tomorrow.

I took my phone out and went onto Instagram. There were tons of posts about the accident, and people wondering how Dilara and Erick's conditins are, especially the baby.

I got out of Instagram and went onto Twitter instead. Exact same thing going on. I sighed and put my phone away. Zabdiel turned the television on, and it was a news channel.

Again, the accident was all over the news. Zabdiel was about to turn it off but Renae stopped him. "The police have found out the identity of the drunk driver who crashed into them. Anthony Martinez, who also happens to be Dilara's ex boyfriend-" the news reader read and Zabdiel muted it.

"Son of a bitch!" Ricky yelled. "He probably planned it," Evaluna said, putting the pieces together. "But they said he was drunk," Zabdiel said. "Yeah, they did tests and he was actually drunk," Chris said.

"Maybe he took a few drinks just so he wouldn't be too heavily charged," Mau said. "I mean, everyone knew about the pregnancy since like 5 months ago. He probably wasn't happy about it. But if he did plan it, we don't have proof anyways. There's nothing we can do," Camilo said and he was right.

"Baby Maria was innocent tho, poor thing didn't even have the chance to see the world," I sighed. "The most we could do for now is make sure Joel and Dilara don't feel too alone in this situation. We all have to be there for them both," Adriana said and we all agreed.

Joel's POV

I pushed Dilara into the small room where they kept Mariana. She had a little tag tied around her tiny feet. "Mariana Rosalia Pimentel De Leon," Dilara read out softly.

"I remember us debating between Mariana or Rosalia so I decided why not both?" I said chuckling softly. "It's fine. I like it," she said, sniffling slightly.

She held her tiny little hand. "I never expected to see my child like this. I expected cries, some tossing around," she said with her voice cracking. "It's okay," I whispered softly as I held her shoulders and kissed the top of her head, trying so hard not to break down in front of her.

"Te amo mucho, mi amor. I'll see you soon, hija," she whispered as she kissed our lifeless baby's forehead. "We have to go. Her funeral is tomorrow, we're allowed to take you there and bring you back right after," I told her and pulled her out of the room.

I swallowed a big lump in my throat. I can't break down in front of Dilara, I have to be strong for her.

a/n: okay I'm sorry for the rainfall lmao.

i been crying writing this and my depressing playlist ain't helping😔