•Ch.21•

It had been 3 day's since the party and Ava was chilling on the couch in her apartment with Tara for the day. They decided they needed a break from the world for one day and figured each other's company at home would do.

"Can I ask you something?" Tara asked, locking her phone and turning to face her roommate.

"What's up?" Ava asked looking over at her.

"Did something happen between you and Colby at the party the other night? After you and Crawford made up you haven't really spoken to him since..." she explained. Ava hesitated.

It was true, she had been avoiding him because she let what Crawford say get into her head and it worried her if his accusations were right.

"That's not true" she said defensively. Just on cue her phone started to ring, it was Colby. This was his fifth time calling her already today and it was only twelve o'clock. She immediately hung up the phone and glanced back at Tara who gave her a seriously kind of look.

"What? I'm talking to you" She said defensively once again. Tara rolled her eyes before speaking up again.

"What happened the other night, Ave?" Tara questioned her, knowing it wasn't just nothing.

Ava shrugged, not bc wanting to talk about it.

"You're best friends, you can't avoid him forever" she told her.

"I'm not avoiding him" she stated.

"Okay then call him back" Tara challenge her.

"I don't want to right now" Ava snapped.

Tara started at her and shaked her head. Not believing how she could almost turn against him so easily.

"Whatever happened, just remember who was there for you the most at the start of the year" Tara reminded her before getting up and heading for the kitchen.

Ava sighed and remained on the couch, getting lost in her thoughts once again over the situation. She was only worried Crawford was right and that her friendship with Colby would mess up. She didn't want to lose him because as Tara said, he's the one person who has been there for her the most this year.

Around half an hour had passed and Ava was back to scrolling on her phone again when someone knocked on the front door. She diverted her eyes from the phone and watched as Tara opened the door.

"Is Ava here?" A familiar voice asked. Ava mentally face palmed and sat up as Tara allowed him in.

Colby.

He immediately locked eyes with her and awkwardly headed towards her.

"Hey, can we talk please?" He asked her politely.

"What's up?" Ava asked, trying to act normal in front of him.

"I'll be in my room" Tara said before rushing off, of course with the intention of ear wigging the whole time though.

"Did I do something wrong...? Literally half way through the party the other day you just turned cold with me and haven't spoken to me since" he explained to her.

"No I didn't" she denied, not knowing what else to say.

"Yeah you did, Ava. I asked if you were gonna walk back with us and you said no you'll walk with the others...you literally live with Tara and didn't head home with her and that's the last I heard from you" he told her.

Ava sighed, knowing he was right and she slumped back in her seat.

"What did I do?" He asked, his voice filled with concern. He cared about Ava and valued his friendship with her, he didn't want to lose that.

Ava remained silent for a moment, trying to gather her words before she spoke.

"What am I to you?" She asked him, looking up at him considering he was still standing.

He furrowed his eyebrows but answered the question anyways.

"I see you as my best friend" he told her.

"Do you or have you ever seen me as anything more?" She questioned him, nervous for his reply.

His heart skipped a beat as she asked this, feeling taken back by it.

"I mean...not exactly..." he trailed off.

"What do you mean by that?" She asked him.

"When we got closer at the start of the year I was tryna figure out if I liked you or not, but then I realised I literally see you as my best friend. Nothing more" he opened up to her.

"Seriously?" She asked him, feeling shocked by his statement.

"I mean, yeah I guess, I just don't think it's that deep...like, it was 11 months ago..." he told her, feeling slightly uncomfortable.

"Why did you never tell me?" She asked, standing up as she said so.

"You were going through enough as it is, the last thing you needed was me confusing you even more" he told her.

She shook her head in disbelief. Crawford was kind of right.

"Look, I don't wanna argue or anything...promise you don't feel like that anymore? I don't want things getting awkward between you, me and Crawford" she told him.

Colby chuckled.

"Ava I promise, i only see you as my best friend" he reassured her honestly. She smiled at him, but Colby suddenly spoke up again.

"Is Crawford the one who made you think this?" He asked.

She nodded, hoping he wouldn't be too mad.

He scoffed and shook his head.

"Is he not grateful he practically has you? He needs to chill" Colby snapped, trying his best not become too annoyed.

"He was just a little paranoid, that's all, don't be mad. Please?" She begged her best friend.

He nodded and calmed himself down, not wanting to make her feel uncomfortable or awkward because Crawford had sort of caught him out.

Colby knew he only saw Ava as his best friend so that wasn't the issue anymore. But Crawford making assumptions and almost turning her against him was, in his eyes anyway.

He decided the best way of going about it was to leave it for the week, he didn't want to ruin her birthday or any of the plans they had for it so decided if he needed to, he would talk to Crawford next week.

But until then, he just had to remain calm and carry on as normal.

A/N: just a short filler chapter. Ava's birthday is coming up in the next chapters!