eleven

A soft melody played trough the stereo of Seungcheol's car while he drove Jeonghan home. 

Jeonghan occasionally gave him instructions in what direction they had to go. But for the biggest part of their ride they stayed peacefully silent, staring in the darkness while a playlist of songs played in the background. 

Strangely, Jeonghan felt at ease. Seungcheol's presence worked calming on him and he wished the day wouldn't have ended so soon. For the first time in a while he felt genuinely happy and he enjoyed the time he spent with the elder. Their enthusiasm while they played games in Seungcheol's gaming room and when they ate dinner in the kitchen and talked about their interests. 

He felt like they got to know each other pretty well that day. Even though Jeonghan knew how much he hated meeting new people, that's why he never really paid any attention to anyone else at school beside his friends, he was happy he got paired up with Seungcheol the other day. He didn't care about all the luxury Seungcheol lived in, because he was happy he got to know the person he is.  

"So, when is the next time we have to work on the project?" Seungcheol questioned. 

"As if we're actually going to work on it." Jeonghan joked "But if i'm right tomorrow right after math. So that'll be around eleven?" 

"At some point we should actually start on it." Seungcheol laughed a little, keeping his main focus on the road. He drove with one hand on the steering wheel and he rested his head on the other hand, having his elbow leaning against the window. A gesture that seemed somehow attractive to Jeonghan, but he tried to keep his eyes anywhere else to not let it notice. 

"But maybe I find my happiness in your gaming room!" Jeonghan said with a childish voice, immediately falling his head back in his seat while he laughed about the idea. 

"I thought you found happiness in cleaning my room!" "Yah!" Jeonghan gently slapped Seungcheol's upper arm. "It was one big mess and if I didn't clean it I know for sure it would've only gotten worse. Left! Left!" 

Seungcheol took the first turn left and Jeonghan knew they were only one street away from his house now. "Next turn right and it's the last house on the left side." He gave the final instructions while Seungcheol followed them perfectly. 

Rain was still pouring outside and Jeonghan knew he could forget about a late night walk over the beach. Or to the 24/7 convenient store. Of course there was still the option to take an umbrella with him, but he preferred staying inside his room until the rain would go over. 

"You literally live next to the beach?!" Seungcheol asked once they stopped in front of Jeonghan's house. 

"Yes! You should join me on my midnight walks sometimes!" Jeonghan happily said, thinking about all those nights he spent walking over the sand and staring in the dark depths of the water. 

"You go out at midnight?" Seungcheol raised his brow what left Jeonghan a bit flustered. why did i say that? no one goes out at midnight. But to his luck Seungcheol's frown made place for one of his characteristic smiles. "I would love to join you! I love walking outside in the dark. You know, the atmosphere is so much better in the dark than at day." 

Jeonghan felt relieved Seungcheol felt the same about it and didn't ask him any more questions. He looked down at his sweater paws, only to realize he was still wearing Seungcheol's clothes. 

"I'm still wearing your clothes. How should I return them to you? Should I go inside, change and give them back? Or?" "You can keep them as long as you want I really don't mind." Seungcheol shook it off, what Jeonghan understood since he still had a huge closet filled with a lot more clothes than Jeonghan would ever be able to buy. 

"I'll return them as soon as possible." Jeonghan said, clicking off his seatbelt and looking at his house. There weren't any lights on, as usual, and he hoped his mom would've fallen asleep already. "But I should go. You got my phone number right? If you get any ideas on the project just text me!"   

"I will. Have a goodnight Jeonghan." Seungcheol said, while Jeonghan stepped out of the car in the pouring rain. 

"You too! See you tomorrow." He closed the car door and ran to his door, fishing the key from his backpack and opening it. He turned around one last time before he closed the door, only to see Seungcheol had waited for him to go inside safely what made a weird feeling go trough his tummy. 

After he locked the door again he tried to go upstairs, not flicking the lights on because his mom could be asleep. He started walking up the stairs until he heard a voice coming from the living room that made him stop his tracks. 

"Jeonghan is that you?" He heard his mothers voice. 

A lump was already rising in his throat and he tried to swallow it away, knowing what was about to come next. 

"Yes I am.." He said, slumping his way to the living room where he found his mother in the couch, surrounded by the darkness. The little light in the room was enough to see the stained tears under her eyes. Normally his mother would've cheerfully received him home, but everything had changed after his father left them. And Jeonghan knew he had to clean the mess up yet again, just like always.

"Are you okay?" He asked, sitting down on the other side of the couch. 

"No Jeonghan.. I'm not.. I'm so sorry you have to see me like this again.. But I just don't understand why he had to leave me.. And-" Jeonghan zoned a little out, used to being the one his mother went to whenever she felt like this. 

He started getting used to pushing his own feelings aside so he could be there for her. That's why he also pushed his feelings away for everyone else, he couldn't be egoistic and constantly feel like shit around everyone. He had to be there for them

That's why he always came home on days like these, finding his mother in the dark. Knowing he had to be strong and to put his feelings aside again to help her and to forget about his own problems. Knowing he had to face them the moment his mother would feel better and he would be all alone in his room. Or at the beach. 

But silently, he wished he could've just stayed at Seungcheol's place.