sixteen

Jeonghan felt like he could breathe again the moment he heard the waves softly crashing upon the sand. He stood there, on top of the path that led him up the dune that gave him a view over the entire beach. Although his eyes still had to get used to his surroundings. The night was pitch black and the only lights that shone over him were the moon and the one from the firehouse every twenty seconds. 

When he thought he stood there long enough and the shapes around him started to get familiar, he walked down the dune. His feet sinking in the sand a little with every step he made. The wind blew gently this night and played with his hair, that hung loose upon his shoulders. 

Nights like these never failed to calm Jeonghan down. On the beach he seemed to be in a complete different world. Others would refer it as his own world, and maybe that wasn't even a bad thing. Especially because he would rather spend his time on the beach late at night, clearing his thoughts, than at his house with a mother who wasn't there for him. 

Although most times when he came here, tears would flood down his cheeks, leaving red stains all over his face. But tonight was different. For the first time in a little over a month he came there in peace. It was the first time he wasn't fighting with himself. His mind wasn't in war. For the first time he felt peaceful and relaxed. Maybe there even was a little spark of happiness in his system. 

He questioned himself if it was because he hadn't spoke to his mom all day or because of the fact he was wearing Seungcheol's slightly oversized hoodie again that kept him warm and surrounded him in the smell of his perfume. What disappointed him though was that the scent of Seungcheol already slightly started fading. If he could only relive the moment he was soaked and got offered his clothes.. 

But he would keep hold of the hoodie as long as the scent was lingering. Maybe he would consider returning it after that. But he only kept that as a last possible option, thinking about how safe the hoodie made him feel. 

Out of sudden, Jeonghan felt a firm grip on his shoulder what made him choke out a weak yelp. No one was supposed to be around there at that time. The last time he checked it was nearly 2 am and he never saw any sign of life around that time. Was it a possible dangerous person that was about to hurt him? What if the person was drunk? 

He turned around and a familiar pair of eyes met his. A pair that instantly calmed him down. Although his heart was still beating on an inhumanly high pace because of the sudden shock. 

"Can you explain to me why I knew you wouldn't listen to me and come here anyways?" Jeonghan chuckled about the question he was asked and shrugged. "Because I don't have to follow your orders? Come on Seungcheol, what's wrong with a peaceful night walk on the beach?" 

Seungcheol laughed, acting as if it was just normal for anyone to walk around on the beach at 2 am. "I know, I know. But what about sleep? Have you even noticed how long you slept today when we were watching a show? If you actually sleep at night you don't have to sleep at day." Jeonghan tucked a strand of hair behind his ear, looking down to his hands afterwards. "You're right.. But aren't you awake now as well? And how about last night when I texted you! You told me you were watching something!" Jeonghan tried his best to defend himself, although he knew that was nearly impossible with Seungcheol. 

"That's because last night I couldn't sleep and tonight I knew you would come here. You were the one who told me at what times you would be around yourself! I just wanted to make sure you would be okay." Jeonghan blushed furiously upon Seungcheol's words and he played with the hem of the hoodie. "The world is a scary place Han. You shouldn't be all alone on a dark beach at midnight. Let me at least protect you and give you some company!" 

"Well.. Thank you for coming." Jeonghan admitted while shooting his eyes up to Seungcheol's face again. The elder male gave him a heartwarming smile and placed his hand on Jeonghan's shoulder, rubbing him reassuring with his thumb. "Wait a minute.." Jeonghan felt Seungcheol tugging on the sleeve of the hoodie he was wearing. Even though the pitch black sky matched with the black fabric of the hoodie, it was clear that it couldn't be Jeonghan's own hoodie if you looked at the size of it. "..isn't this my hoodie?" 

"No! Definitely not! What are you talking about?!" Jeonghan nervously replied while he moved his left hand up to play with his hair.  A habit he had when he was nervous, that absolutely came at the wrong time. Seungcheol on the other hand chuckled about Jeonghan's reaction, finding his way of defensing himself extremely cute. He leaned forward and took in a good amount of the scent. 

"So since when do you use shampoo that smells like watermelon?" Jeonghan averted his gaze to the water right next to them, that reflected the crystal clear stars.  "uh.. you know? Can't I use that shampoo?" Seungcheol leaned back and crossed his arms full of triumph. "Well I can tell you don't use that shampoo since you kind of fell asleep on my shoulder last afternoon and my chin was on top of your head the entire time. Remember?" 

Jeonghan thanked the sky for being that dark and wished the firehouse a death wish when the light shone on his face with the exact wrong timing, showing off a crimson red blush on his cheeks. What only made Seungcheol chuckle more. "Let's just take a walk! Isn't that why we're here after all?" Jeonghan turned his head back and let their eyes meet again. How could Seungcheol even say no to that. 

Even though he loved to make Jeonghan a little more shy by asking about why he was wearing his hoodie, since it gave the most adorable reaction ever. But seeing him actually wearing his clothes was already more than enough to him.  

So he gave in and both boys started on their walk next to the coastline. 

Side by side.