fifty two

Rain was still pouring down from the clouded sky when the angel-like boy opened his eyes. His entire neck and spine felt sore from leaning against the closet all night long and he tried to stretch himself without being in too much pain. Sleeping in a bed would have been a better idea and would have given him the opportunity to sleep in a much more comfortable position. 

However, Jeonghan couldn't care less if his entire body was in pain or in what place he had to sleep. All that mattered to him was that Seungcheol wasn't by his side when he woke up, and that caused way more pain than a sore back. 

Tears welled up in the corners of his eyes again when realization of the night before hit him in the guts. Memories of the way Seungcheol had looked flooded over him and sent shivers down his spine. His gaze when he told Jeonghan it was all over seemed so.. empty. 

All the warmth he usually carried along with him was gone in that moment and made place for a terrible side Jeonghan had never seen before. Everything about the way he had acted made Jeonghan fear that side of him, while everything inside him still loved the person he used to know. 

It was hard to imagine that he wasn't there with him anymore and he wasn't even sure if he fully realized what had happened yet. Because he kept telling himself over and over again that Seungcheol could be back any moment, as sweet and caring like he used to be. As if the door to his room would open any moment to welcome Seungcheol, carrying a tray or breakfast. Even though the little voice in the back of his head told him otherwise. 

But he tried to push away the terrifying thought of being left behind for god knows how long, if Seungcheol was even planning on coming back to him at all. Because the reason of his sudden departure was still unclear. There were so many different things he could be doing by know and Jeonghan wasn't sure if he even wanted to know where he went to. 

He wasn't even sure if he was ready to face more of that side of Seungcheol. 

But on the other hand, there was nothing he wanted more than to know the reason why the boy who promised him to stay, left him. But how could he get answers when he just disappeared into nowhere. 

Jeonghan hit his head back against the hard wood of the closet out of sudden and brought both his hands up to the top of his head. "Fuck!" He agressively pulled on a few locks of his hair and tried to blink away the tears that threatened to fall. 

Without thinking twice he pulled his phone out of his back pocket, dialing the only phone number he wanted to speak at that moment. With a shaky hand he brought the phone up to his ear, biting his lip a little too hard to keep the tone in his voice neutral. The phone rang around three times before the person on the other side of the line picked up in his usual happy tone. 

"Jeonghan! Goodmorning! I was just making breakfast. How are you?"

"Jisoo?" 

Jeonghan couldn't manage to bring out more words when he broke down and started crying his heart out after hearing his best friends voice. On the other side of the phone he heard something falling and he assumed it was Jisoo dropping something he was holding onto, knowing how worried he could get over small things already. 

"Jeonghan? O my god, Jeonghan what's wrong? What happened?" 

Jeonghan clutched the phone in his two hands against his ear, shaking so bad he might drop it if he didn't. "J-Jisoo.. I-it's.." He couldn't even place the right words together and the whole world around him started to spin. It even seemed like a challenge to keep himself pushed up with his back against the closet. 

"Calm down Jeonghan. Tell me what happened." Jisoo sounded overly worried on the other side of the line, desperate to help his buddy out and reassure him a little. 

"I-i...it's C-c-cheol.." 

"Cheol? Seungcheol? Did something happen to him? Did he do something? I swear to-" "-he..h-he left.. h-he le-eft me.. Ji-jisoo.. He's go-o-one.." 

The only thing Jeonghan heard on the other side of the little device he had pressed up against his ear was Jisoo's breath stopping for a slight second. "No.. No no no no no.. Jeonghan, you're joking right?" 

"N-No.." Jeonghan choked out after releasing another massive sob, which seemed to convince Jisoo. 

"Where are you right now? I'm immediately coming over." He heard Jisoo grabbing his keys and yelling something to his mother in the background. 

"I'm s-still..i-in his hou-se." 

Seungcheol had explained where he stayed at the little party at Soonyoung's house that night. The night where him and Seungcheol became an official couple. The thought of how happy he had been at that moment and the kiss they shared in the dark, sitting on the stairs, made him so much more emotional. It even came at a point where he couldn't see anything through the tears anymore. 

"I'm on my way right now, he doesn't live that far away anyways. Be there in five." 

"T-thank y-you Jisoo.." 

"Oh and Jeonghan." Jeonghan nodded, not quite realizing Jisoo couldn't actually see him through the phone. But Jisoo, who took enough with the little silence on Jeonghan's side continued, having heard enough to know how big of a mess Jeonghan was in that moment. "Please try to calm down a little, okay? It's all going to be okay, okay? Please don't do anything weird, okay? Can you promise me that?" 

Jeonghan nodded again, only to realize this time that Jisoo couldn't see it. "Yes." Was the only thing he managed to bring out. 

"Good. I'm almost there Jeonghan." 

Jeonghan brought the phone back down again, clicking on the red button on his screen and ending the call. It's going to be okay. Jisoo will be there soon. He will know what to do. He will be there for you. 

However, something that was said during the phone call started to bother him. 

Jisoo asked him to promise something. 

But the only thing he could think about was the little smile Seungcheol pulled and the way his eyes sparkled the first time he asked him to do his typical promise. 

A pinky promise.