Chapter 18: Swallow Your Pride Part 2

Pain and anger was evident in Ravn's eyes as he ran through the corridors of the hospital while Gabrielle trailed behind him, worried.

They were both nearing the ICU and Ravn could finally see his mother's husband and their son. Mr. Lee was pacing back and forth around the ICU door while his son is crying on the chair.

"Mr. Lee!" Ravn stopped running, panting as tears struggled to escape from his eyes. "Where's mom? I need to see her."

Ravn wanted to enter the ICU to see her but Mr. Lee stopped him. "You cannot go in yet, Ravn. Let's wait. Please."

"What happened to her?" He asked, his heart was beating so fast.

Mr. Lee rested his back on the wall behind him, taking a deep breath. "Your mother... She overdosed herself with antidepressants."

Ravn's lips parted.

"She's depressed. She was actually broken in the middle of our marriage but she made through it. I think it came back when you both met. After some days of your meeting, she's been crying. She also tried self-harm. That's why I also started to call you. She was getting worse and worse throughout the years. We had her checked up and prescribed medication for her depression. She tried to do this before yet I was on time to save her, but now... I came too late to save her. And probably I won't be able to see her again."

Everything sunk into Ravn's head. The thought of this happening to his mom because of him made his heart clench. The thought of their meeting four years ago being the last time they've ever talked made him feel his heart being ripped away from his chest.

He shook his head. This might be the last day. And he still hasn't tell her he's sorry. And that he still loves her.

He ran away from the ICU, ignoring the people he bumped along the way, while tears streamed down on his face. Gabrielle followed him suit. Ravn ran through the the Hospital Garden until he reached the end of it with a high wall full of vines. His hand rested on the tree as he panted. He started hitting the tree out of anger, his fists starting to have wounds.

Gabrielle who almost lost him in the Garden found him because of his repeated screams of pain. She saw him hit the tree while he screams and cries. The sight made her heart ache. She ran towards Ravn and tried to stop him.

"Ravn, enough. Please. You're hurting yourself!" Gabrielle pleaded. He didn't listen to her so she hugged him and held his wrist. Ravn stopped hitting the tree but his cries of pain never stopped. He dropped down on the ground.

Gabrielle crouched down, still holding onto him. This was the first time she saw him cry and even this much. She indeed knew he was was really broken but seeing it in real life, seeing him finally unravelling himself, just hits her differently.

"It's all my fault. It's all my fault." Ravn repeatedly said while Gabrielle caressed his back.

She whispered soothing words to Ravn, telling him that it's not his fault and that everything will be okay. He buried his head on the crook of her neck, his arms embracing her waist tightly.

"I shouldn't have said those words to her, Elle. I'm so selfish. I only thought of my own pain." He gripped on her shirt as he let it all out.

"My words... They must have struck her so much. It must have stabbed her so many times even in her sleep. I-I thought she was doing well when she had her new family. I thought I was the only one in pain. I'm so selfish, Elle."

Gabrielle caressed his hair and shook her head as if he could see it. "No. Ravn, you're not selfish at all. You were broken and blind with pain. I couldn't blame you too. You just had too much pain to handle. Yes, you forgot to look at her side but that doesn't mean you're selfish, okay? You both didn't see each other's pain."