Chapter 19: An Emerging Betrayal

When Gabrielle left the supermarket, San came back to his senses. He realized he hasn't captured Keonhee and killed Gabrielle, heck not even a scratch has he given her. He just couldn't kill her, he doesn't even feel the need to hurt her.

San was so pissed when he went back to the Underworld. Upon stepping on the palace, nervousness started to rise within him. How would the King react to this? He has never delayed an order from him. He would always finish his tasks in no time, that was why he's the King's favorite.

The King was not present on his throne. He should be there to wait for him to come back yet he's not here. San sighed in relief when he wasn't greeted by the King.

"Where's his highness?" San asked the guard at the door.

"His highness went out to eat. He told me that if you finally arrived, just go straight to the dining hall."

Just when he thought he could take a break and make up for his failure, the King was always impatient for results even a meal cannot be used as an excuse. San began to walk to the dining hall, his footsteps echoing through the palace. It matched his strong heartbeat but he still maintained to look composed and calm on the outside.

When the King saw San enter the dining room, his eyes instantly lit up with excitement. "San! You're finally here! Did you finally have that wretch's head?"

San bowed down to the King, preparing himself for his reaction. "I apologize, your highness. I have failed to capture the cursed man."

"Oh, how about her head?"

San mentally cursed at how obsessed he was for obtaining her head over obtaining the cursed men. He must really hate Gabrielle to the core. "I don't have it, your highness."

"What!?" The King exclaimed as he slammed his hands on the table, shaking up the dishes and drinks in front of him.

"I'm afraid, the angel isn't an easy opponent. Our encounter, I'm afraid, is one of the most remarkably ones I've ever had." Gabrielle and San may have not fought for real but he was telling the truth. It was the most remarkable one for him, and it's up to the King how he'll understand what he said.

The King eyed San who instantly avoided his gaze. It was as if he could read him. "Tell me what happened."

"I was stalking them at the parking lot. I almost got the cursed man but her senses were sharper than I thought. That was when our strengths started to clash. It was intense and I never felt so challenged at that time. Yet everything was ruined when the man she's with just hit me with his car. That certain attack got me off guard and they drove away."

That was the most stupid excuse San has ever come up in his whole life. He knew he better slap himself after this, well, if the King would believe this stupid excuse he has made.

But why is he even making excuses?

After his explanation, the King stared at him. San remained to look calm on the outside just like his usual self but he was really nervous for the first time he reported to the King.

"But you look fine, San." The King eyed his body. "You don't seem to be hurt at all."

A hole. That was a hole to his excuse. "Your highness?"

"If you were hit by a car, you wouldn't be standing so well in front of me. You would have some bruises from fighting that wench since you said it was remarkable. The impact of the car, wherein you said it caught you off guard, should be big and effective."

San bit his tongue and tried to think of anything without showing how panicked he was. He has to come up with something. Something believable to cover up the hole he found.