7. Lost In the Heat of It All

"Do you and Harry get along?"

I stiff behind Gigi. Her question made me momentarily stop my hands from spreading the sunscreen on her back.

"Um," I clear my throat and continue what I was doing. "Well, I met him less than a day ago so-"

"Okay, but didn't you guys just go to the store together?" She asks me this but I can tell she knew the answer. "Did you get a chance to get to know each other better?"

I was glad she was facing the other way or else she would have seen my blushed cheeks at the mention of what happened not too long ago.

"Yeah.." I trail off, stumbling to find the right words. "He seems like a cool guy." I roll my eyes at my answer. I sound like an idiot.

"Okay, cool." She sounds relived.

"Why do you ask?" I question out loud when she turns and notices my confused expression.

"You're my best friend and he's my brother. I'd rather you two get along than hate each other," she says with a soft laugh. Her expression hardens as she leans in closer. "But not too much, if you know what I mean."

I don't have a chance to react to her final words as she gets called over by one of the guys. I stand there alone on the warm sand, feeling a light breeze on my skin, the sound of waves crashing in my ears.

"But not too much, if you know what I mean."

Her words played over and over in my head as I try to pin down what she really means. Did she really think that something would happen between Harry and I? I mean, he's a very good looking guy and so far, he's been nice. There has been no red flags from him and I get stupid butterflies in my stomach whenever I'm near him. Who wouldn't want to be with someone like him?

But I couldn't do that to Gigi. It was now growing obvious to me that she wouldn't be fond of that. Even if she gave me her blessing to be with him, I'd still feel weird.

I let out a sigh, stopping my endless thoughts about it. I sit down on my sprawled out towel and look out at the wide ocean in front of me. The sun was sparkling on top of the water, creating this beautiful, dancing effect.

"Lace." I hear a voice say besides me.

"What's up?" I say after clearing my throat, snapping out of my gaze. Liam sits down next to me, spreading his legs out and his arms behind him. He looks at me with a bit of concern in his eyes.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

He shrugs. "You just seem very deep in thought."

I mimic his position, except I bent my knees instead of spreading them out. I lick my lips, knowing he isn't going to stop pestering me until I gave him an answer. I debating on whether or not I should tell him what I was really thinking. He knew Gigi as well as I did. Maybe he'd surprise me with some insight on the whole situation.

"The frown on your face is going to stay there forever unless you talk." His eyebrows are raised as he waits for me to talk. I let out a sigh as I look away.

Then again, Harry and I are just becoming friends. That's it. Friends.

"I'm just thinking about this whole situation."

I couldn't say what I was actually thinking about. If I even talk about Harry a little with him, I fear it might get out and reach Gigi's ears and she'd kill me, even if I just talk about him in a platonic sense.

"Feeling guilty?"

I nod in response. I did feel bad about lying to my mom about my summer plans. I just wasn't thinking about this ten seconds ago.