40. Waves

Today was July 4th but more importantly, it was Beau's 21st birthday.

The girls and I woke up bright and early so we could surprise him with a special breakfast. We wanted to make pancakes with sprinkles and icing, sunny-side-up eggs, bacon, sausages, and toast. We also had mimosas ready for him to chug down as soon as he wakes up.

It was a bit difficult for us because it was exactly 6:30 in the morning and none of us went to bed at a decent time. We were all groggy and tired but we forced ourselves to began our tasks in the kitchen.

"Who has the butter?" Sierra asks the room as she stares at inside the fridge.

"Not me," Gigi answers as she cracks the third egg into a bowl.

"Why do you need butter?" Maggie asks. "Aren't you in charge of the drinks?"

"No, that's Bella's job. I'm making the icing for the pancakes."

"Uh, no, I'm cooking the bacon and sausage," Bella corrects her.

"Wait, I'm cooking the bacon and sausage," Zoey says, a confused expression in her voice and her face.

"What? No—"

"What have you been doing this entire time?"

"I'm waiting for the stove to be free."

"I need the butter," Sierra repeats, "Has anyone seen the butter?"

"There's room for you to use it," Zoey tells Bella.

Bella raises her eyebrows at her. "So you agree that I'm in charge of the bacon then?"

"What, no."

"But you just said—"

"Guys, I can't do the icing without butter."

"Who's in charge of the pancakes?" Gigi says as she spreads runny egg yolk over a pan. "I think that one's burning."

"Maggie," I say, not even sure after this whole conversation.

"Where is she?"

We all take a look around the room and don't see her in here anymore. I look at the pancake sitting on the stove and see bubbles all over the side that was facing us with smoke coming from the bottom.

"Well, someone flip it!" Gigi says, "I'm handling these eggs."

"I need to look for the butter," Sierra mumbles as she rummages through the fridge.

Maggie comes back into the kitchen and looks at the stove and gasps. "Did you guys flip it?"

"Why did you leave?" Bella says as she watches Maggie flip the pancake and reveal a burnt side. "You can't leave your shit unattended."

"I had to pee! And I told Zoey to watch it."

"When?"

"Like two minutes ago!"

"She was too busy arguing with me over something she's wrong about," Bella says with a snort as she rips open a new bacon package.

"I am not wrong," Zoey retorts, "I am in charge of cooking the bacon!"

"You guys are going to wake Beau up!" I say in a loud hushed voice.

"Then tell her to get out of my station!" Bella says in the same volume as before.

"No, you!"

"No, you!"

"Who has the goddamn butter?!" Sierra exclaims in frustration.