52. Sangria

The place felt familiar as soon as we walked in. There was a thick aroma of bitter tomato sauce and garlic in the air. Light string music can be heard from a distance. As soon as we sat down, our eyes zeroed in on the menu and selected from the endless choices they offered.

We were back at the Italian restaurant Gigi took us at the beginning of summer. It feels like it was just yesterday that we came here after a long day of hanging at the beach and playing volleyball. When I got that nasty bruise on my stomach and ultimately was the reason why I got closer to Harry. What'd I do to go back in time to relive those days...

We came here to celebrate the guys not going to jail. Gigi's family's lawyer is a miracle worker. They were supposed to meet with a judge at the end of this month but she was able to get them an earlier date. A couple of days before the date, we got a call that only lasted 2 minutes because it sent us all into a grand celebration.

The charges were dropped by the prosecutors and arresting officers. I still can't wrap my head around what made them do it. The lawyer says it was probably because of the bar owner's not-so-hot reputation and public record, which is not hard to believe after all the instances I had with him.

They didn't even have witnesses on their side and enough evidence to get the judge to side with them. The only thing the boys got was a misdemeanor charge for being involved in a public fight but other than that, everything worked out on our favor.

We got that call today at noon and we've been non-stop celebrating since. We've had one of the best days yet in this house. The energy shifted. The stress and tension evaporated from the house and the air felt light again. It felt like normal again.

Gigi and Harry had gone a whole day without arguing even when they had to speak with their parents on the phone. They were calm and like siblings, which was trippy but nice to see. That phone call was just the thing we all needed to hear.

After a relaxing and stress-free day by the pool, we all got ready and headed down to fill our stomachs with carbs, which was the only way that seemed fit to end today.

I had felt so much better since my talk with Bella and my mom. It was exactly what I needed to hear and I can't believe it I was so reluctant to do it.

I still haven't gotten a chance to talk with Harry because he's been busy with the whole court situation, understandably. I want to hear what he has to say before I decide to end this deal or not.

I'm not torn about it anymore and will accept whatever happens. It has to end sometime and summer's almost over anyway. If we spend the last few weeks together as more than friends then I'm cool with it. If we decide to be just friends, I'm also cool with it.

I realize now that I can't be so wrapped up in something like this, no matter how I feel about him. I have to set my feelings aside for the time being. It's better this way.

I put on my new favorite dress—the cherry print one—and adorned my features with makeup. My hair was clean and neat. I've been spending the last week wearing lose clothing and my hair all tangled up because I just couldn't bring myself to a mirror. So right now, I'm feeling good.

I stare at my menu and purse my lips, pretending to read it to mask the awkwardness at the table. Gigi sat at the head of the table again and brought me along with her. She also brought Harry next to her too, saying something about wanting her 'two favorite people in the world' next to her.

I was sitting directly across from him at this table that felt a lot smaller than I remember. With Gigi practically in between us, awkward doesn't even begin to cover it.