48. Sundress

The air was cool and crisp. It traveled through the trees surrounding us and produced a gentle noise. The sun shined down onto the ground and covered it like a blanket. The view from this hiking trail was breathtaking. Everything felt nice and right this high up.

"Can we go back already?" Liam complains for the third time today. He stops to catch his breath and coughs a bit. "I'm fucking dying."

"Wanna borrow my bike?" Zayn asks him as he walks his bicycle beside him.

"You said I can take it next!" Niall scoffs.

"You're not the one about to pass out."

"Come on, guys! We still have half a mile to go before we reach the top!" Gigi shouts back, leading the way up the trail.

"It's all the same shit!" Liam continues, staying in place as he rests his palms on his knees.

"Enjoy what mother nature has to offer, Liam."

"Sorry, Niall, did you just say 'enjoy what your mother has to offer'?" Louis snickers.

"Bro, enough with the mom jokes," Niall says with an eye roll, "They're getting old."

"Just like your mum."

Niall turns around, launches himself at Louis and begins swatting his arms at him. Louis tries to block and shield himself with his arms and shuffles around on the dirt.

"Hey, hey!" Zoey shouts, making Louis and Niall straighten up immediately. "Watch the wrist, Louis. Do you two always have to fight? It's such a nice day out today."

Louis shrugs as we continue walking up the trail. "Can we get ice cream after this?" He asks like nothing ever happened.

"What about smoothies?" Bella offers after she catches up to us from taking a picture of the view.

"And McDonald's breakfast," Niall adds with a goofy grin.

"Dude, no," Harry quickly says.

I can't help but chuckle at his response, finding the word 'dude' falling from Harry's lips funny and unusual of him.

"What? You're against McDonald's breakfast all of a sudden?" Niall looks offended and I can't tell if he's joking around. "What happened to the breakfast you bought us last week?"

"Why the fuck would I want to eat shitty food after a hike?" He says, smoothly dodging Niall's last comment.

The mention of that day brings back a warm flush to my cheeks and a vicious swarm of butterflies with giant wings flying around my stomach. I'm lucky Harry is walking a few feet behind me so I don't have to look at his face right now.

"Look at that view!" Gigi squeals from a distance and points over to the vast horizon of the ocean and all the green mountains around us.

"This is wicked," Zayn comments before he bikes closer to the edge of a flat cliff.

"Can we all take a group picture?" Bella suggests loudly.

"So you can forever capture my final moments before I die?" Liam lets out quick pants breaths while he wipes the sweat off his forehead. "You're sick."