28. Chamber of Reflection

Dinner was awkward. I was eating a meal that was made by someone that, for some reason, was mad at me. I was also sitting next to someone that any other night I would be fighting off a flush on my cheeks and trying not to smile at, but instead I was avoiding any eye contact and physical touch.

Everyone else seemed to be having a pretty normal dinner. I'm jealous. I have barely said a word to anyone and have taken a few bites from my food but they haven't noticed any odd behavior from me.

Harry has tried three times to make me look at him or talk to him during the past hour. I've pretty much dodged each time. Right at the beginning of dinner, he flirted silently by tapping my foot. I didn't react so he tapped me again. I reacted by standing up to grab ice for my water that I didn't get in the first place only because I'm sick. He gave up trying to interact with me when I interrupted whatever he was about to say to me by starting a new conversation and talking loudly to Zayn, who was across from me. I hate myself more and more for how I'm acting but I couldn't stop.

Everyone was going to meet in the living room shortly for the meeting Louis called after we finished dinner. The only way I would ever be in a good enough mood to stay down here with everyone is if I get everything cleared with Adam and stay as far as possible from Harry.

I walk over to Adam in the kitchen while everyone else had gone to the other room. Gigi has just finished loading up the dishwasher. She looks at me and smiles before taking the plate of cookies Bella and I made.

"Thanks for the cookies," she says as she begins to walk out with the plate, "you guys want any before I take them out there?"

"I already had some, it's fine." I gently smile at her.

"Adam?" She hovers the plate over to him. He shakes his head, not even bothering to look at the plate or at Gigi and continues to put the leftover spaghetti away in a container.

I thought he was in a better mood than earlier because all through dinner, he was engaged in lively conversations. But the way he was being right now told me he wasn't.

"I'm good."

Gigi nods, eyeing Adam a little longer before turning to me and smiling before she leaves the room. I wanted to leave as well and just go up to my room to sleep but I couldn't before talking with Adam.

"Adam?" I hesitate slightly.

"What?" He asks as he puts a lid on the container and places it inside the fridge, not bothering to look at me. I sharply inhale, trying not to shake him and force him to look at me.

"Did I do something wrong? Why are you mad?"

"I'm not mad," he says after a few seconds.

I narrow my eyes at him. He can't possibly accept that I believe him. He sighs, leaning over the counter next to the stove, the same place he was making the meatballs earlier.

"I'm just.. frustrated, I don't know."

"About what?"

"It's complicated."

"Feelings usually are," I say with a small chuckle. He manages a small grunt and nods. I walk closer to him, wanting him to talk with me. I don't want a good friend of mine to be bottled up like this.

"What is it?"

"I don't think I can tell you," he says after being silent for five seconds.

"Why not?" I didn't want to make him feel like I'm pushing him to tell me but at the same time, I wanted to help.

"Like I said, it's complicated." He stands up straighter and turns to me completely. "I don't want to regret telling you.

"Regret?" I'm starting to get impatient but I try not to show it. I feel like this conversation is getting nowhere.  "Adam," I say, looking into his eyes, "you know that you can tell me anything, right? You're one of my best friends and I only want to help you."