50. when the party's over

"What about these shoes?" Liam poses in front of me wearing black slacks, a dark grey shirt, and black high-top converse.

I turn my head, briefly glancing at his outfit then back at my phone. "Looks good."

"That's what you said about the boots too!"

"Mhmm." I roll my lips in concentration, close to winning this game of solitaire I was currently playing.

"So the boots or converse?"

"Um, yeah." I huff when I run out of moves and have to start the game over. "Fucking shit."

"Hello? Earth to Lacey."

Liam suddenly appears in front of the bed where I laying on my stomach. I know he's annoyed.

"What?"

"What's more important, your phone or your best friend?"

I blow out a breath and drop my head down over the edge while I put my phone to the side. I can feel a headache coming on as the blood slowly rushes to my head.

"I'm sorry." I lift my head back up when I see his shoes walk away from me. "What did you say?"

"What's going on with you?" He asks with his back turned. "All week you've been, I don't know, not yourself."

I watch in silence as he clasps his silver watch over his wrist. I follow his hands as he digs through the few thin metal pendant necklaces scattered on his drawers.

He wasn't wrong. Ever since the day of the hike and the night Harry slept on my bed, I've been too in my head nonstop. That morning I woke up hoping to talk with Harry before breakfast but couldn't because the bed was empty beside me. I barely even saw him in general because he and the boys went out to explore more of this city before summer was over.

"We're going to a party tonight and if you're energy's lacking, you might as well not go. Total vibe killer."

"Geez, thanks for the pep talk." I shift on the bed so I'm laying down on my back and looking up the ceiling.

"Sorry, Lace. I'm not trying to be harsh but I have to be real."

"It's fine. I need it to hear it."

He spritzes on his strong-smelling cologne, looking back at me with raise eyebrows. "So what's wrong?"

"Nothing." I sigh. "I'm just tired."

"You got out of bed at 2 pm today."

I stay silent. I feel the bed shift and turn to see Liam sitting beside me. He sends me a sympathetic smile.

"What's really going on, Lace? Talk to me."

I shrug. "Been in a funk, I guess. Feeling a bit drained or whatever."

"How come?"

I shrug again. "Just 'cause."

"You're not in the right mindset for a party." His words come out somewhere between a question and a statement.

"I want to be."

"I have...party favors if you know what I mean. Could be helpful."

I laugh a little when Liam tries to wink at me. "I'm good, thanks."

"You could stay in and chill. Luke's house is only two blocks away. We'll be there if you need us."

Luke, or the guy Liam met at the club and invited him over that one time we had a party here, was having a birthday party and invited all of us. Normally, I'd be pretty pumped for a party, especially since summer is close to ending and I want to have as much fun as I can before going back to reality. But like I said, it's hard being excited for something when you're feeling like this.