20.

Jesse.

"This is actually really good bruiser." I was genuinely impressed with the way the gooeyness of the cheeses and the smoky flavor of the ham was held together by buttery flavored texture of the bread. It made my tastebuds very happy.

I was on watch duty tonight and hadn't really thought about dinner. I admit I'd been a little skeptical when Hunter had informed me that he was bringing me dinner, mostly because I happen to know how limited his cooking skills are. But tasting this ham sandwich right now, I admit I was a man of little faith.

"Actually?" He asks in shock and I immediately burst out laughing. "Careful JJ or I might think you're surprised."

I take another large bite of the sandwich goodness, reaching for the bottle of water he also packed for me. "I'm just saying that I was a little iffy on what to expect but this is really good." I was on my second helping so there's no argument that it really was good. But apparently Hunter isn't feeling the same way as he releases a loud gasp.

"Good job JJ you've mastered how to insult someone and compliment them in the same sentence." I roll my eyes at the man before bumping my leg against his shoulder.

"I'm just kidding, I love the sandwich it's the best I've ever had." I let the sincerity of my words seep through the compliment.

"I already know what I have to do." He states simply.

My brows are furrowed as I try to decipher what Hunter has to do "And that will be?"

He looks at me like I'm stupid "I just have to cook more meals for you babe." He states in a duh tone, like I'm supposed to have figured out the answer by now.

Hunter continues eating unbothered, sipping his beer at intervals while I'm left staring like a creep. His earlier words still sounding in my ears, the heat creeps up my body at the underlying promise behind them. The ease with which the words roll over me is like never before.

"Stop staring and eat you food JJ." A smile graces my lips at his nonchalance. Only Hunter could make such act look hot, but it takes me by surprise when I see blush creeping up his cheeks. "You're annoying." He states with a heavy sigh. "I got you a banana." He throws the fruit at me and I manage to catch the poor thing before it lands against my forehead.

He's so cute when he's all embarrassed and blushing, actually I think he's really adorable when he becomes all playful. Those are the only other times that he seems relaxed, apart from when he's riding his Harley, or anything that has to do with his motorcycle.

I'm not sure what it is that always has him calculative, guarded, his persona with the sharp contrast of deviousness, and cunningness. Good to lure you in, bad if he has a vendetta against you. But even with all that, I can't get his vulnerability those months ago out of my head. It felt like he needed to just be held, no words said and no sounds made, just arms to be wrapped in. It's like we had a silent undertaking to never speak about it and the topic has never been broached.

I stare at the fruit in my hands and unwrap the peel before taking a bite and another and another till the fruit is all gone into my belly.

Yet somehow I was still hungry.

"I'm still hungry bruiser." I whine, I probably sounded ridiculous but once the floodgates of my taste buds have been opened, it takes a lot to quench them.

"What is your stomach, a bottomless pit?" Hunter growls out but I continue smiling sheepishly, by the way eyeing the last sandwich in the plastic wrap. He sighs heavily before handing me my third of the night, which was supposed to be his second.