31.

Jesse

"Dada" I brace myself as Laney's little feet carry his rapidly heading straight for my arms. "Miss you" he whispers into my neck.

"I missed you too little man." Although we still spoke on the phone yesterday, he'd spent the last weekend with his grandparents and so we hadn't seen each other in a few too many days. "How was fishing with grandpa?"

He huffs dramatically "We caught fish but grandpa poured it back into the water." He says with an adorable pout on his face.

"Okay how about we have salmon for dinner?" I receive a vigorous nod of approval and I guess dinner is settled then. "But you have to help out this time." I receive a less enthusiastic pouty nod. He raises his hand up and I already know what to do so I hoist him up onto my shoulder, to sit like the king he is.

I eventually glance up at Renee and she has a very conflicted look in her eyes, like she's debating something.

"Hey beautiful." A blush covers her face instantly. "What's wrong?" Small hands drum on my head but I don't bother stopping him since he seems to be having fun.

"Uh we need to talk Jesse." Uh oh. "It's important." Okay?

I bring Laney down from my shoulders amidst major resistance from the little man.

"Mommy and dada have to talk little man, why don't you play some games on dada's phone." A blinding smile appears on his face as he grabs the phone and I quickly set him onto his car seat, making sure the windows are open for some fresh air. "Talk to me Renee."

So many conflicted emotions pass through her face and it makes me worried on what could be so serious to bother her so much.

"So my boss offered me a promotion to manager." I feel a little of my worry dissipate becoming happiness on her behalf.

"That's awesome congratu.. wait are we happy or not?" I ask confusedly.

"I'm happy." She says albeit very nervously. "It's just that.... I'll be managing the store at Winterthrop." All feeling leaves my body, shock? Maybe, numb? Absolutely.

"That's almost four hours away from here Renee."

How was that going to work? Don't get me wrong I'm happy for her and this long overdue promotion but moving four hours away?

"I know Jesse, I know. I keep thinking about it and I just can't turn down this opportunity, can you understand?"

"Understand what?"

"I'll have to move Jesse and I know this is gonna be hard. It's going to be an adjustment period for everybody including Laney."

"Woah woah woah what are you talking about Renee?"

I hope she wasn't hinting what I think she was hinting at. It would be an adjustment period definitely but we could make it work the same way we always have.

"I've thought about it over and over and we'll have to change somethings around."

I can tell she's so nervous by the wringing motions her fingers were doing right now and frankly I was too.

Different thoughts raged through my head on what "change" was coming around.

"I know how much you love Delane, of course he's your fucking son so you love him." She continues rambling nervously.

"I can't find it in me to do this to you Jesse. You're sweet, funny, kind, and an awesome father to our son."

The most vulnerable look appears on her face and I suddenly find myself pulling her into my arms and holding her still in my embrace. Renee's lean body rests against mine and finally the tears come out.