36

Jesse

"Walk with me crabbie." Jesse had never been one to be startled but even he jumped when Chancellor seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

"Don't call me that." He'd snapped back at the old man.

"So what am I supposed to call you?"

"JJ is fine." Jesse replied before pocketing the keys of his house and moving towards the older resemblance of his.... of Hunter.

"Eh too long." Chancellor waved dismissively. JJ was close to chucking the man onto the streets. How in the world was JJ longer than crabbie or whatever it was that Chancellor called him.

"Your logic is so flawed old man." JJ replied as they started walking down the path. Ever since he and mamba had gone to bail the old fellas out, he hadn't seen Chancellor again until now.

Seeing the man waiting outside his house was definitely a surprise to him.

"You know, things were never meant to turn out this way." The oncoming fall season's weather bit into JJ's skin and he instantly regretted leaving the house without a light jacket. Chancellor however continued down the path, down the street.

What he was about to tell JJ, no other soul except Dickory and Hunter of course knew about it.

He'd watched from afar as the boy and his son grew closer and closer, although he knew his son's stubbornness was the only thing holding him back. He'd been the one to blame for that. Hunter had to grow up faster than his peers and so being tough, "masculine",and strong was the only way he saw to do that.

Chancellor should have done better to let his son know that he wasn't to blame for what happened. But instead he had retreated into his own head, and let his son carry the blame on his shoulders. He knew how special Hunter's mind was but he'd done nothing to steer that mind in the right direction. He watched from afar as his son became an outlaw just like his father.

Jesse watched the man beside him quietly as he seemed to have retreated into his mind. He wasn't good with words so he aimlessly watched Chancellor who also seemed to be struggling with his thoughts and words.

"Mary was always the glue." A smile appeared on the man's face at the memories of his late wife. "She was the love of my life. The mother of my child.... well almost children."

Chancellor remembered that day vividly like one remembers money. Mary had always loved kids but through miscarriages and repeated fertility issues, it was just Hunter for a long time. "The day she took the pregnancy test and it came out positive, she could barely control her joy." Chancellor remembered Mary calling up everyone on her contacts to break the news. He even remembered having to physically restrain her from dialling 9-1-1 just to break the good news to the first responders too.

But then shit happened.

They'd successfully walked the entire length of the street and Dove's Bar stood opposite their position at the moment.

To Jesse, the bar would always be a special place. It was where he and Hunter officially met, unknown to him that Hunter had first sighted him at the clubhouse.

"The club always came first for me. Shit I ate, drank, breathed, and lived for the Devil's Sons. So of course when the club ran into financial problems at the time of Mary's pregnancy, I sold the one thing that had been in my family for two generations." Chancellor pointed to the closed Dove's bar across from them.

"Dove's used to be yours?" Jesse was legitimately surprised that such enterprise was owned by the Wilson family and Chancellor had managed to sell it out.