Chapter 5: Arguments and sketches

Cass knocked on the door. Marinette shouted,

"COME IN." Cass stepped in, or at least tried to. She looked up at the girl sprawled out across the bed surrounded by papers, sketches and more fabric. She was on her laptop. Damian scowled,

"How do you even navigate in this chaos?" She shrugged and continued typing. Cass plopped on the bed next to her.

"So, what's up?" Marinette knit her eyebrows.

"I'm trying to figure out how much time I have until my next shipment of fabric comes in. Jagged said it arrived at his apartment in New York but he didn't say when it would end up here. I alread cleared this stuff with Mr. Wayne but it's still confusing." Cass nodded and Damian crossed his arms.

"So you are running a buisness out of the manor?" She shrugged and pulled out her laptop he looked at her in annoyance. "Is this even legal? You are a minor!" she glared at him.

"I am licensed under an adult. Also I'm 17." He knit his eyebrows.

"What adult are you liscensed under?" Cass put a hand on his shoulder.

"I think Damian is just taking an interest in your buisness. He's going to be an intern at Wayne Enterprises next month when he turns 18." Marinette nodded.

"Internships are fun! Just don't spill coffee on the boss on the first day. That almost never turns out right." Damian gave her a look.

"I am not a one footed baboon. I think I can handle myself thank you." Cass laughed and Marinette grumbled.

"It happens to the best of us." Cass chuckled.

"Ok, kids, play nice, I have a....... gig? Downtown." Marinette nodded and went back to her paperwork.

"So, Damian, right? What grade are you in?" he glared at her.

"Junior in High School. As you are." She looked up and gave him a look.

"I didn't tell you that. Did your father give you my file?" He shrugged and leaned against the doorframe with his arms crossed. She took a deep breath. "Damian. Did, you, read, my, file?" he shrugged and started to walk out of the room. She threw a pair of scissors right next to the wall, inches from his face. He glared and turned around. She stomped up to him.

"Look, I know everything about you. Your name, your age, where you live, the crimes you have committed, the charges you pressed, and so much more, so tread lightly Dupain Cheng." she scoffed.

"You might know whatever the police counted as 'facts' but you know nothing about me." they were nose to nose. "And for the record, I already know almost everything there is to know about you Mr, 'Damian Wayne the boy who killed 532 men in the last seventeen years. I also know that you were an assassin. There's another lie I can knock off Lila's list since you obviously did not grow up here in the Manor." He glared at her and grabbed her arm, pinning her up against the wal.

"Who are you? Did the league send you? Did my mother?" he squeezed the pressure points on both arms, leaving her unable to move. She locked gaze on him.

"Nobody sent me. I was just able to read everyone's files. Easy access. It's not my fault the government here sucks." he raised his eyebrows.

"You hacked into American Government files?" She rolled her eyes and tried to push his arms off. No avail. "That's illegal." she squinted.

"No shit dumbass, that's kind of the point." he growled and held her tighter. She twisted out of his grip, and grabbed a dagger from her pocket angrily stabbing him in the arm. He glared at her and ripped it out of his arm by the blade and smirked. She gasped, feeling the pain in her own arm as well.

"Ok, that stung. I'll be keeping this as a gift now." she scoffed and wrapped a towel around her bloodied arm, throwing another towel to him.

"Good to know you have a piece of my sentiment." his glare returned. Dick walked in the room.

"So Marinette, Bruce said that tomorrow- what's going on here? Damian, let her go and put the knife down!" Dick looked worried. Damian sighed and rolled his eyes, passing her dagger back. "Wait, that's yours? How the hell did you get it on the plane?" Damian scrunched up his face.

"Dick, this is the girl that hacked into the US government just to read all of our files and she knows everything about our backrounds. I hardly think getting through TSA is hard for her." Dick's eyes widened.

"ALL of our backrounds?" Damian's jaw twitched and Marinette quickly looked down, cheeks on fire. Dick raised an eyebrow with his arms crossed. "Marinette, tell me everything you know about me." she looked forward with her gaze on the wall behind him.

"Your name is Richard Grayson, you are 33 years old, when you were 9 your parents were murdered on the trappeeze, I truly am sorry for that, and you have a daughter named Mar'i." he nodded.

"Anything else?" she shook her head and he sighed in relief. "Ok, well I'll talk to you guys later." Damian grabbed his arm.

"You are seriously just going to walk away after she hacked into the US GOVERNMENT?" Dick scratched his chin.

"Little buddy, you're one to talk. Goodnight Damian." The boy huffed and turned to her.

"Normally he would have yelled at me." Marinette shrugged.

"So, you're one to talk apparently?" his face flushed.

"Yeah, it was a while ago, and I was bored." she chuckled and grabbed her notebook and cellphone. "So," he looked around her. "What buisness are you running exactly?" she deadpanned and threw her sketchbook at him. He flipped through it. Hundreds of sketches and parchment paper sketches fell out around him on the floor. "Jesus. How long did it take to fill this book."

"3 or 4" she mumbled.

"3 or 4 what?" she rolled over on the bed.

"weeks or whatever." he checked his watch.

"What time do you think you'll finish all that?" she looked around her and the room. And wrote a reminder on her arm.

"Like 5." He rolled his eyes and his arm tingled. His eyes widened and looked over to Marinette who drew a small flower design. Seconds later, the exact same thing was scribbled on his arm. He smirked and grabbed the nearest pen and crossed out everything on his arm that she wrote and pulled his sleeve back down. She threw her pen down and let out a frustrated groan.

"What's wrong?" she focused her fury on him.

"Whoever the hell my soulmate was just ruined 5 hours of work. I'm now going to have to stay up all night to get it done." he went pale.

"What do you mean 5 hours of work?" she clenched the bedsheets in her fists.

"It took me 5 hours to guess the measurements of my customers based off pictures of them. They didn't know their own measurements and I can't just fly out to Paris every ten minutes, and I already forget what they are. DAMN IT." she pushed everything off the bed laptop included and put her hands behind her head, pulling at her neck. She jumped up and put on her sneakers.

"Where are you going? It's midnight." she grabbed a dark red hoodie and pulled the hood up over her blue waves.

"For a walk to clear my head. I'm already pulling an all-nighter, so I might as well get some exercise." he felt bad. Really bad.

"Can I come with you? There are a lot of muggings out at this hour." She took a deep breath.

"I think I need to go alone. I can handle myself, I have self defense training." she ran out of the room before he could follow. He looked over at a drawing on the bed. It was him, he was angry, but the shading brought out his features. He sighed, rolled up his sleeve, and wrote two words on his arm.

'I'm Sorry'