Life dangling by the fingertips, part 1

Guys, I'm just warning you, these next few chapters will ummm be very ummmm emotional I suppose? You'll see what I mean later. Now on with the story!

"Ok, so how do I go through?" He asked, a little nervous. Marinette huffed annoyedly.

"Damian, for the eighth time. All you have to do is think where you want to go, and it will appear. Do not think of anywhere else but the Teen Titan tower. If you were unconscious, I could probably take us both over, but I'm positive that you do not want to do that." Damian shook his head.

"No, I do not. But what if I accidentally get distracted?" Marinette shrugged.

"Then we'd have to wait for the Miraculous to recharge, and we'd go again. It's no big deal. I promise. Ok?" the two stared at the swirling portal ahead. She took his hand in hers and squeezed, reassuringly.

"This is very different from a zeta tube. You've never taken one of those, have you?" She shook her head.

"I have to be careful with those because the technology sometimes interferes with the Miraculi. You're distracting me." Damian gave her a strange look.

"We are going back an hour earlier, anyways. Can't we wait?" Marinette chuckled.

"You're stalling. Are you scared?" Damian scoffed.

"Hardly, beloved. Fine. I'm ready." he straightened his Robin gear, and took her hand once more, and took a step forward. She followed behind him, and they walked through a short hallway. His eyes widened and he turned around to go back, but the portal closed behind them. She reached over and took his face in her small hands.

"Damian, relax. You're freaking out. All you have to do is think of the Titans Tower. Think of your room. Can you do that?" he nodded. He looked down at the small bridge they walked over on, that led to the other side. It had no railings of any sort, and it was a sand path. The path reminded him of back at the league. As they stepped forward, Marinette used her arm to part the swirling mass that glew in front of them. She knit her eyebrows as they were sucked in. She looked at Damian, panicked. "Damian, where were you thinking of?" they were thrown through the portal, and they fell into the sand, inside the perimeter to the League of Assassins.

"I-I'm so sorry, beloved." he grabbed her arm and pulled her closer to him as they were surrounded by assassins, blades at the ready. Damian tried to put her behind him, but they were behind him as well. His dark green eyes flashed dangerously. He stood up straight, and stood with power. Marinette felt a rush of confidence take over him. He glared at the group around him. "Do none of you have respect for your prince?" The group surrounding the two of them all lowered their weapons, shocked. A woman walked forward.

"What is the meaning of this? Guards, sei- Damian?" She walked over. Damian stood in front of Marinette. "My son. What are you doing here? You're meant to be with your father." Damian nodded.

"Yes Mother, you are correct. We are here to..." he looked behind him at Marinette, who eyed the group confused. "Visit." he finished. The woman smiled wickedly.

"Excellent. It has been quite a few years since I have seen you." she looked over at Marinette, her emotion changing quickly. "Damian, who did you bring to our base? This is highly dangerous. Who is this?" Marinette ignored Damian's looks of protest, and she stepped forward, hand out.

"Hello, Ma'am. My name is Marinette Dupain Cheng. I am Damian's-" she looked over to him for approval. He nodded slowly. "Girlfriend, and soulmate. We recently found eachother." The woman's eyes narrowed. She crossed her arms.

"A soulmate is a weakness. Along with love. Damian, you are not meant to be weak. I can already see the way your eyes follow her. Son, she must be eliminated. You now have a weakness." Marinette rose her eyebrows.

"Dang. Who hurt you?" The woman ignored Marinette and was still looking at Damian. He had the most pained, yet angered face that Marinette had ever seen him. His eyes mirrored his mother's. Narrowed.

"No. Marinette is not to be eliminated. I do not care for your wishes, Mother." The woman looked like she had been slapped in the face.

"You bring dishonor to our family. You have now just dirtied the al Ghul name. It is not to late to change that. Dupain Cheng, step forward." Damian paled, knowing what was coming next.

"Mother," pain laced his voice, as he tried to put as much space between Marinette and his mother as possible. She glared at her son, then sighed.

"Fine. Have it your way. She shall be spared if she can survive. Step forward, child." Damian's arm was shaken off Marinette's. The small girl stepped forward.

"I do not understand, what-" His mother plucked a katana from a nearby guard, and handed it to Marinette.

"If she bests me in combat, she is worthy enough to survive. And I have a few tasks for her, should she survive such conditions. Which will obviously not happen." Damian tried to grab the katana from Marinette, who refused and stuck her tongue out at him. "Damian, how can your..... harlot, have such a childlike manner to her? Regardless, child, do you accept my duel?" Marinette rose a brow at Damian, then turned to the woman.

"Huh, no wonder Damian acts like such a pr-" she stopped herself. "Alright, scary lady, I don't know you or your name, all I know is that you're Damian's mom, and that you're a danger to his safety and mental wellness, so you know what? Sure, why not." Damian loudly facepalmed behind her. The woman surprisingly laughed.

"My name is Talia al Ghul, child. This one has fire in her eyes. I rather like her. Too bad I'll have to kill her." Marinette froze.

"Hold up. You wanna kill me? You see, I kind of have an intense fear of dying, you know. Like a normal person, so how about I just bake you guys some cookies and we can call it a day! Hmm?"

"Jesus fucking christ." Damian muttered under his breath. Marinette smacked him lightly upside the head.

"Language, Dami. It's rude." Damian was about to say something, but was cut off by a loud laugh and an immense arc of metal, clanging against Marinette's katana. The said girl, jumped back in surprise. Talia smirked.

"Always watch your surroundings, child. Always." Marinette jumped back with a greater force, intricately nicking Talia's arm. The woman's eyebrows rose in surprise. Nevertheless, she advanced, countering quickly. Sweat dripped down the younger girl's forehead, not used to being in Nanda Parbat's harsh heat conditions. But she continued, for this fight was for her own life, her own love, and her own family. Eventually, she had to falter from exhaustion, a burning pain erupted from her side. But Marinette continued on, striking and parrying for what felt like hours. Until she was knocked off her feet. Weapon skidded out of reach, and hand empty, as the older woman stood over her, sword at the younger girl's throat. Marinette looked over to Damian, who looked terrified, as he was held back by several league members. Fear shone in his eyes.

"Talia, what is the meaning of this? Who is- hello, boy. Talia, who is this child on the ground?" Talia wiped a bead of sweat from her brow, eyes still trained on Marinette and weapon, still pointed, centimeters away from her end. Damian was still struggling over across from them. The man leaned down, and replaced his hand where Talia's sword once was. Gripping around her neck, the man stood up straight, lifting the girl into the air, where her feet brushed against the dirt, gasping for air. She managed a glare at the man, and spit on his face. His jaw tightened, as her airway became even more constricted, than Marinette thought was possible. Her hands clawed at his arm, fruitlessly. Spots began fully taking over her vision, as she heard Damian let out a loud roar of anger, as guards were tossed aside. He ran forward as she blacked out.

*********************

"Master Bruce, did Master Dick call about the young Masters in Paris yet?" Bruce shook his head.

"No, Damian rarely doesn't follow through with orders. Something must have happened. We will not tell the Dupain Chengs, just yet. Let me at least figure out what is going on first. Alfred, prepare the batjet. We have some kids to find."