Chapter 17: Damian kinda being a brat, but rightfully justified

She scuffed her feet as they walked down the road. They were still in a bad area, but they were a little more than halfway there. Damian was exhausted but he kept along. They both walked in silence, watching the lights of the city. Damian decided to break the silence.

"Marinette?" she looked up. "Is what you said true? That that guy was the reasoning behind everything you're going through?" she sadly nodded.

"It's been a few years now. I've gotten used to it. You keep asking me why I do this to myself? Why I drink? It just gets me out of here for a while. It's not like I want to destroy myself." he sighed.

"Well, I'm glad you finally told me. So what's with this ring thing he keeps bringing up?" Marinette gripped his arm tighter.

"Well, remember the yin and yang thing I told you about? And the Ladybug earrings and Black Cat ring? Yeah, that's the ring. I have the earrings. He abuses his power. You still have to properly meet Tikki. She's excited to meet you. Adrien is not the right holder. Fu was running out of time and my soulmate was not in the country. Damian, I believe you were meant to be the true holder but I could be wrong." she knit her eyebrows. He pressed a finger in between them.

"Stop that, it causes wrinkles." She elbowed him.

"You do it all the time!" he scoffed.

"I have an excellent moisturizer." she rolled her eyes.

"Ok Mr Perfect. How much longer do we have to walk?" he shrugged.

"Give or take about," he looked at his watch, "Five minutes"

"Thank you." he looked down and gave her a look.

"For what? You seemed to have it handled." She shook her head.

"You were honestly a great help whether you know it or not." she stared at the ground and kicked a rock. He stopped walking.

"You had the whole thing handled and I know for sure you could have killed him in combat. You only needed me for moral support." she silently nodded. "Hey, I might be a bit... difficult at times, but I got your back." She wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him. He felt awkward then melted into the hug. He felt his hoodie get wet. "Are you crying? Why are you crying?" she sniffled and he held her head close to him. "Look, for how much I really want to hug you and all, can we get back to the house first? I don't trust being vulnerable in a place like this." She sniffled and nodded.

"Sorry for ruining your hoodie. I'll make you a new one." He chuckled.

"Thank you. You don't have to replace it but I would like something you made, very much." she grinned and he wiped the tears from her face. "That's better. Now. I assume we don't want to take the front door." She looked up.

"Oh, we're already here." She looked a few floors up at her open window and composed a plan. She pointed out the tree, support pole, and the next roof. He vetoed the plan.

"It's really dumb and we'll fall. No." He pointed to an old rusty ladder.

"Absoloutely not. Look at it, it's going to break at any second." he rolled his eyes and set it up. Marinette went up first. Damian quickly scrambled up but on the last rung it broke and the ladder fell. Damian held onto the ledge. "I told you so." she stated and pulled him up. The lights flipped on and Jason and Dick stood next to one another.

"Well, well, well. Lookie lookie at this cookie." Jason said and he crossed his arms. Dick snickered and mocked his pose. Jason turned around and elbowed him in the stomach.

"So where were you two this evening?" Damian rolled his eyes and glared at the duo.

"It's none of your damn buisness. Goodnight." with that he took Marinette by the arm and lead her out of her room.